Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 5:39:01 PM EDT
Ok, so I looked at several guns today at the Funshop, any feedback on the Walther/S&W P22?
Seems like a nice little plinker, ambi safety and mag release good for lefty like me. Not that I need another .22, would look nice next to my 1969 Interarms Walther P-38!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been eyeballin' one of 'dem.. They look pretty cool and feel good in my hand.  Not that I need another .22 pistol, but hey, like I need to justify a firearm purchase?

I particularly like the 5" with comp on it.  Less than 3 bills at the local shop.  and I could always get the shorter bbl later and switch back and forth as needed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one with the short barrel.  So far I have gone through a brick of ammo with it and it is a load of fun.  There have been some reports of unreliablity but mine has only had a few failures to feed.  Pick one up they are a cheap kinda fun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I really wanted one.  When my brother bought his I was quite jealous.  Then we went to the range.  He had nothing but problems.  Smoke stacks, ftf, fte, you name it.  I really lose confidence in a gun when I cant pull it out of the box and shoot it.    We put around 300 rounds of asst ammo through it.  Maybe it will loosen up or something with more shooting.  We'll have to see.  I'm not dead against them but I do love my MKII.  Not a single problem with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been looking at the p22 for a while too. Sucks to hear that some are having problems with them. Please keep us updated on the problems.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one.
I use Remington Thunderbolt for cheap ammo and CCI minimag for premium ammo.
I have never had any cycling problems.
Occasionally I will hit the slide release and it won't chamber a round. This seems to be getting less frequent with increased use.

I love it. It's a great little pistol.
Cheap to buy and cheap to shoot.

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The Walther's like the hotter ammo; they just don't cycle reliably with the standard velocity and target rounds.  

You want to really have some fun with the Walther P22?  Buy the threaded barrel nut adapter and screw a suppressor on that puppy.  It's extremely quiet, and looks like it just stepped out of the latest "James Bond" pic.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up one in the last month.  Great little gun for the money.  You can find the 3 inch barrle alot easier than the 5 inch target model.  You can oreder the five inch target barrel with the comp directly from Walther USA for about $50 shipped.  You can find the 3 inch for under $200 if you shop.  Can't go wrong with it.  My only complaint is they give you 2 mags, one extends the grip the other does not.  I have big hands so I can only shoot the one with the grip extension comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top