Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2002 7:54:24 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a good bolt action rifle in .30 caliber. The most I want to spend is about $500 (is that reasonable?). What should I expect? Any suggestions? I will be using this rifle mainly for target shooting and possibly for hunting feral hogs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
A Remington Model 700 can be had for under $500 and is an excellent rifle in any configuration or caliber.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a savage it is the best bolt rifle you can buy for $500 and under and with their button rifling they are the most accurate $500 rifle you can buy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto the advice on the 700 Remington.  I am very happy with my 700 ADL Synthetic in .30-06.

Savage is a good suggestion too, but Remington is a little slimmer in the stock and has a 22" barrel instead of Savage's standard 24".

Another alternative - Savage Scout in .308 Win.
It has an 18 1/2" Barrel which would be handy in hog country.

If you can find a 788 Remington in .308 or 7mm-08 grab it!  These rifles like to shoot very small groups.  Remington had to stop making them before they could advertise their model 700 as the most accurate production centerfire in the world! (Please, no flames! This is remington's marketing line, not mine.) I have been very happy with the 788 I bought new in 1979.  Floated the barrel and got fairly consistent MOA groups or better.  Recently upgraded it with a synthetic stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Winchesters are good; they have a few reliability features that are nice (coned breach, clawed extractor, fixed ejector).  The trigger is also easy to adjust and the magazine holds 5 rounds instead of 4.  The Sporter is made in 30-06 and has a 24" barrel; the Featherweight has a 22" barrel in 308.

I doubt you will find any accuracy difference between the average Winchester, Remington or Savage.  The Savage is definately cheaper, but they are pretty ugly and there are generally fewer aftermarket accessories.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If you wanted to spend $200 more you can get a Remington mod 700 PSS in a light tactical model that will shoot 1/2 minute out of the box!Scope it right and you have a Silloutte rifle, Tactical rifle or a good light accurate hunting rifle. All 700s are good!!
            Foldemfast
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd get a Remington 700. I would think can get an ADL, which does not have a detachable magazine or hinged floorplate . . .

What are the pros and cons of these features?  What does the LTR have?  And while I'm at it, can the Tactical Weapon System (TWS) be had by non-LEOs?

tia
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking for a platform to build on the 700 Remington has many advantages, if you are looking for a very good rifle which is outstanding out of the box look at the C.Z. 550 Varmit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to Walmart after your local deer season and buy one of their Remington ADLs on sale (approximately $300 here in the peoples republic of Massachusetts). Then glass bed it using a Brownells glass bed kit (about $8) following the enclosed instructions. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. DO NOT BUY A SAVAGE-THE TRIGGER SUCKS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Win 70 w/pre 64 action
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
About 2 years ago I bought a new Remington 700 ADL in .308 for around $350 if memory serves.  You should still be able to meet that price with no trouble.

It's been a consistently accurate shooter.  I  can do 1 MOA on a good day with generic handloads, but I'm sure the rifle would do better with a better operator and tuned handloads.  The thin barrel heats up quick but it doesn't have any serious stringing problems like some others I have encountered.  The groups open up a bit when the barrel's hot but it's not dramatic.

I'd like to like the Rugers, but the one I had (a 70's vintage M77 in 7 mag) could never be made to shoot worth a darn.  Others have reported spotty accuracy with the Ruger line.  

The current production Winchesters are usually derided as junk by many bolt gun fans.  The older ones (pre USRAC buyout?) are the ones to get.

Savage also makes a decent rifle for the money.  Something can be done about the trigger if you don't like it.  The two I've had have been pretty accurate but nothing amazing.  I never could get decent eye relief with a scoped 110 though.  Maybe it was the mount, maybe it was the stock, but I usually have to crane my neck too far forward on these for comfort.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#14]
SIG SHR 970
various calibers
very smooth bolt action and trigger
factory guarantee on accuracy out of the box
the stock felt a little different compared to a US built rifle - I think it is a little longer
do some investigating before buying a scope for this rifle
the Savage's may still be less expensive, but I like my SIG
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a winchester model 70 from Walmart for about 340$.  It also came with a decent scope.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The current production Winchesters are usually derided as junk by many bolt gun fans.  The older ones (pre USRAC buyout?) are the ones to get.

I suppose Winchester has produced some dogs, but I think this is more a function of the fact that they sell so many rifles.  Similarly, I think the reason you hear so much about Remington problems is because they also sell so many 700s.  A lot of guys I talk to say the Winchester is the best production rifle being made.  I have looked at a lot of them and they have been universally excellent, with the wood especially being gorgeous, and the recent production models I own are also flawless.  Their accuracy is great.

I'm not saying Rugers and Savages are dogs.  Every rifle maker makes a few duds I am sure, but there are just a lot more 70s and 700s out there than the other brands.  All of the major rifle makers have really gotten their act together as far as quality control, and they all make a good products.  Very few of the mutts get through.  To a large extent, Remington v. Ruger v. Savage v. Winchester has become much more pointless than Ford v. Chevy arguments.  You will rarely go wrong with any of the major makers, and the major differences are usually just a matter of personal preference.

The benefit of the 70 and 700 are that they are usually first two models for which aftermarket accessories are available, as well there being more gunsmithing expertise.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure most of us would like a pre-64 '70. I sure in the hell would.

Rem 700.  Sucks that Rem won't sell the action only.

Savage Tactical 10FP is best "bang for buck". You can stay under $500 with optics and still have your tack-driver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top