Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 6:06:56 AM EDT
Just put a down payment on a SS GC NM, used in excellant condition. It's a series 80.
The gun is very tight but cycles very smoothly
by hand. Barely looks like it's been fired.
No wear marks on barrel or frame.

Are these as good as they say or is it all hype.
Price was less the $700.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:34:59 AM EDT
If you can get out of it, do it,, see if you can find a Series 70, in my experience they are much better shooters,, had a blue one, installed a Wilson-Dyer group gripper kit, nothing else, it would shoot 2-3" groups with most ammo..Sold it to a cousin, at the time I had an FFL, ordered the new Limited production Gold Cup Elite,, I like two tone guns,, Blued slide , stainless frame,,,, the fit at rear of slide to frame is off about 1/16" even after putting in a group gripper, with full length guide rod about 3.5" is the best it will do,, removed the series 80 trigger junk, it has a very sweet 21/2# trigger though,,, For the kind of money you are wanting to spend, I would look for a series 70, love the looks of those triggers,, or go with a Kimber, they should be better shooters,, In all Fairness though, I bought mine about the time that Colt let go all its Union workers and replaced them with non-union ones, and heard that quality control went all to hell...the new stainless ones may be much better though, I just don't have firsthand experience with them....
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:39:59 AM EDT
I have one that shoots into 1" at 50 yrds.

Enhanced 80 series.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:44:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2002 6:46:30 AM EDT by MoparLou]
ar10er, that is fantastic,, is it box stock???? is it from Custom Shop??? If the new ones are that good, I will sell my Collector's item (only 500 or 750 not sure, made) and buy one of the newer ones, thats, why I made sure to say that I hadn't tried a later model.. The 70 series would shoot 17/8 groups to 1 3/4" with the right loads on a good day,, but with just about anything it would stay around 2.5 to 3"
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:48:24 AM EDT
It's box stock from the custom shop, if you can call that "stock". The only thing I did to it was put on an old set of colt wood stocks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:07:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ar10er:

Enhanced 80 series.

Can you define the "Enhanced".
Is this labeled on the slide somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:15:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Delmarksman:

Originally Posted By ar10er:

Enhanced 80 series.

Can you define the "Enhanced".
Is this labeled on the slide somewhere.

I has the under cut behind the trigger guard, which I really like, it makes the pistol sit lower in the hand. The grip safety is also raised at the bottom, and it has the commander hammer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:48:06 PM EDT
I think they went to the enhanced features in the early 90's, I love that scallop at rear of trigger guard, really makes it feel better in your hand..I figured it might be from the custom shop, I think maybe all Gold Cups come through there now.. don't know when they started this, mine sure didn't and its an 80 series, but pre-enhanced,, since its used, do you think you could try before you buy,, when I had my FFL, if it had been fired ,before, I would let a potential customer try it out,, I have a range in the backyard, I was one of those "basement bandits", but I did it all legit,,sales tax, all records, ordnances etc,,, If it would shoot 1" at 25 yards, I think thats a good price, if there all typical to ar10er's, 1" at 50 that is FANTASTIC, for a semi-box stock gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2002 2:03:18 PM EDT by SGB]
I've got a MkIV Ser's 70 Gold Cup and I can promise you it shoots better than I'm capable of shooting it.

I Modified mine slightly as I carried it for many years on Patrol. Millet White ramp dual crimp front sight and Millet white outline rear. I had it Nitex plated as it was originally Blue Steel.

edited to add.....handguns.ar15.com

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:27:32 PM EDT

Just put a down payment on a SS GC NM, used in excellant condition. It's a series 80.
The gun is very tight but cycles very smoothly
by hand. Barely looks like it's been fired.
No wear marks on barrel or frame.

Price was less the $700.

Only found two problems with mine:

- the rear sight tends to shoot off. There's a pin that holds it in, and it's weak. I replaced mine with a Millett sight, and that fixed the problem.

The sear assembly is a real bitch to reassemble. They use a small captive spring that is impossible to deal with. I plan on replacing that with the regular parts from a Government Model.

I'm sorry I just didn't get a GM and then have a bit of work done on it.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:30:00 PM EDT
I have a series 80 it was great after a few hundred dollars of gunsmithing. Buy a new Springfield or Kimber (not the Kimber II) or a series 70. You will be much happier.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:44:34 PM EDT
The following things will happen to this gun. The front site will fall off or come loose. Get it soldered on, the rear site will fall apart, replace with Millett, the safety/slidestop spring guide tube will come loose get it re-staked. The series 80 parts will fail. Just remove them, supposedly the collet style bushing will break but mine has gone over 10,000 rnds with no sign of failure or cracks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:38:22 PM EDT

Price was less the $700.

... grrrrrrrr, paid $750 for a new one in 1983 (still have the beauty though)
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:52:41 AM EDT
I had a Series 70 Gold Cup as my first 1911. It was a sweet shooter, but I wanted to shoot full power combat loads and read that the GC slide was lighter as well as having a lighter spring for light target loads. And shooting full power loads in GCs is hard on the frame/slide. So I decided to traded it towards a custom 1911. I believe the Series 80s have the same type slide, except for the firing pin block parts. If you want to shoot full power loads you might want to consider this.

Deuce01
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:17:08 AM EDT
700 dollars is a deal
I have two 70's and a officers model,and love them all
You can't go wrong with the colt 1911's ,with all the after market parts out there ,you can make it just the way you want it , hell i like working on mine,about as much as shooting
Delmarksman you got a deal in MPO
good luck

Semper-fi
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:50:00 AM EDT
The rear sight flies off with ball ammo, the accuracy generally sucks. I wrote Colt they sent me a letter that said they are assembled for 3" to 6" inch groups at 25 yards.

I have an accurized Gold Cup that shoots under 1" at 25 yards and a Ransom rest group to prove it. Anybody that tells you they shot a 1" group off hand is generally a liar, idiot or both. I also have an NRA bullseye Master classification.

Enhanced means the rear sight flies off less often and it has a beavertail grip saftey. You have a 50/50 chance of a good one.
Top Top