Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 4:53:27 AM EDT
handguns.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=1323

I posted on the AR15.com Handgun forum, and was hoping someone could help me get my firing pin safety back in.  Check the link.

Thanks,
JBoze
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this:

1) Disassemble the slide.

2) Install the extractor.

3) Install the firing pin block plunger and spring.

4) Depress the plunger and install the firing pin and firing pin spring.

5) Install the firing pin stop.

6) Re-assemble everything else.

7) Perform a dry fire function check to be sure the pistol works.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll give that a shot.  I brought the slide with me to work (left it in the truck), so I'll head out to the parking lot at lunch and see if I can get it back in.

Is this the "safety plunger" that's only present on the 80 Series Colts??
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Very easy.
Pull the extractor back out about 1/8", the saftey firing pin plunger will go in now. While holding it in its hole push the extractor back into the slide untill flush with the back of the slide. The plunger is now installed properly.
Now when you install the firing pin you must push the safety plunger down with your thumb while sliding the firing pin in its hole.

Ok I didn't notice before but now I see you have the firing pin in already. This is part of your problem. Remove it by pushing it in with a punch then slide the firing pin stop down and out.
Now you can install the the safety plunger as described above.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the firing pin removed but still couldn't get it.  The firing pin just happened to be in during the pic.  

Anyone know how that plunger could have just popped out all by itself?  I was dry firing the pistol, and racking the slide back and forth, and it popped out.  I didn't touch the slide otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Anyone know how that plunger could have just popped out all by itself? I was dry firing the pistol, and racking the slide back and forth, and it popped out. I didn't touch the slide otherwise.

You need to remove the extractor and inspect it for damage or excessive wear in the area in which it contacts the plunger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top