Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2002 9:25:00 AM EDT
the galil and valmet both have the rear sight on top of the dust cover? doesnt it lose zero every time its cleaned? both the valmet and the galil have it this way correct? it seems necessary to relocate the rear sight of a regular AK to allow for the upturned bolt of a galil, but on a piece that is removable?

how well does this work in "real life"

also, will a galil or valmet cover fit a regular AK?

thanks

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#1]
SkaerE,

No, it does not lost its zero because recoil spring guide comes through back of the dust cover. Recoil spring guide works like wedge which forces dust cover downwards.

I can proudly say that Valmet (62 or 76) is the best AK- clone ever made. It´s reliable as hell, accurate enough. I have witnessed several times 1 MOA 5 shot groups to 150 meters without any optics.

Galil is straight copy of Valmet. IDF bought few Valmets from various sources before the started to make it.

When I was working in Middle East 94-95 it was hard to believe my eyes when I saw Galils carried by IDF soldiers, it was just like Valmet. Only thing they made better was folding stock, charging handle and thumb safety. Stock is better designed but locking mechanism is same and charging handle has bolt pointing.

I have never had chance to shoot Galil but I have read from IMIs site and have heard that it is excellent weapon but it is not so accurate.

Hope this helps,

MN
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Somebody needs to work out a way to place the AK's rear sight further back.  Maybe if there were a way to tighten down the dust cover...

A tang sight using one of the buttstock screws might also be a possibility.  

I think this would go a long way towards helping the perception of the AK as inherently inaccurate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The early Galil was a Valmet. The Valmet seems to be more accurate on average due to the Finn's ability to make great barrells. My Valmet continues to be the most accurate non-matched tuned .223 I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
there are also two apeture type replacement sights being sold to upgrade the kalashnikov. one being the williams, as sold by brownells and the other available thru www.redstararms.com.

I have the Williams replacement sight on my NHM-91.  It's a slight improvement, giving more visibility on the target, but the rifle still suffers from a short sight radius.

I think I'll silver-solder it to my receiver cover and drill holes for set screws. Can't hurt.

I also polished the trigger surfaces, getting most of the toolmarks out.  This helped matters considerably, but the damn thing is still a violent rifle to shoot, with all that metal slamming around with every shot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, let me be "anal retentive guy" for a moment.....

NO, THESE ARE NOT "assault rifles."

Any more than....

....a Mercedes Benz is a cocaine transport vehicle.

...or a Louisville Slugger is a skull cracking device.

...or a Johnson is a woman raping tool.

IF WE ALLOW THE ANTIS TO DEFINE TERMS, WE'VE ****ALREADY**** LOST THE BATTLE.

Fact is, these and other rifles are used FAR AND AWAY more frequently for target practice than they are EVER used to "assault" anyone, or anything.

I know you know this. So let's start putting what we know into practice.

Pleeeeeeeease?????

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
SUR

SPORT UTILITY RIFLE.............

Nuff said.

M4-AK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top