Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 11:29:01 AM EDT
I could be way off (which of course means I don't think I am), but what's with Model 1 Sales, who advertises on these pages? I just bopped in there and lo, they have M16 sears, the selectors, and complete lowers. No mention about the legalities about owning an auto sear on any page that I saw. Do I smell a BATF sting for the really stupid or is there an actual explanation?

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
At this point in time,it is legal to have M16 parts as long as you don't have an AR15 with them.
cpermd
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I could be way off (which of course means I don't think I am), but what's with Model 1 Sales, who advertises on these pages? I just bopped in there and lo, they have M16 sears, the selectors, and complete lowers. No mention about the legalities about owning an auto sear on any page that I saw. Do I smell a BATF sting for the really stupid or is there an actual explanation?

They are replacement parts for legally owned  M16's.

They probably require a copy of your BATF Form 4 before they will sell the parts to you. I know Bushmaster does.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I've recently seen them for sale in trays at a gun show.  Sort of a "Parts is parts" display.  Completely legal, as cpermd says, if you don't have an AR nearby.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, here is the source of confusion. From  Articles/Legal/Drop In Auto Sear on this site, I quote:

"Possessing an unregistered post-November 1981 autosear is possession of an unregistered machinegun. Possession of a pre-November 1981 autosear is simply possession of a 15 piece of steel unless you also possess an AR-15 with M16 parts. Then you are also in possession of an unregistered machinegun."

From the way I read it, a post 1981 sear itself is considered a "machine gun" and must be registered with the BATF, with or without an AR 15 nearby.

As I mentioned, there was no mention of legalities on the order form. Just list the parts you wanted and your credit card.

BTW, thanks for the responses to this new member. As usual, most gun owners prove themselves to be friendly folk...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
legrue -

I think you're confusing a drop in auto sear with a standard (pinned in) auto sear.  If you have an AR15, either one is illegal to possess.  There is no such thing as a registered pinned-in type sear, but there are some registered DIAS's out there (I own several).  The registered DIAS (on the NFRTR) is a machinegun in and of itself - just like a registered M16.  An unregistered DIAS, whether made before or after BATF's dubious 1981 ruling, is  is simply a felony waiting to happen.  A pinned-in type auto sear is also illegal to possess if you own an AR15.  Basicly, if you don't have a registered M16, stay away from them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top