Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/22/2002 10:45:18 AM EDT
I have been doing some chrono tests with a "22 browning A-Bolt. I have measured the actual barrel length to be 20" and the BOSS to be 2". SO, am I actually shooting with a 20" barrel,or a 22" barrel?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:23:38 PM EDT
Your effective barrel ends at the muzzle. So if it is 20" from the bolt face to your muzzle then you are getting velocity from a 20" barrel. The barrel on my 7 mm mag is 26" with the BOSS, so I figure velocity from the measured 24" from bolt face to muzzle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:00:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:21:44 AM EDT
OK...I figured that much, glad to have some confirmation! Thanks guys.

Oh, I called Browning and asked the very same question. Of course, their response was that the BOSS equals the same as rifled barrel. I figured they would say something like that. Today many people are velocity crazy, making velocity a key selling point, so they can't be telling people that they will get less velocity. Heck, if I would have stayed on the phone long enough they would probably have told me that the BOSS cleans the kitchen sink too!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:01:12 AM EDT
They may have. It doesn't clean the kitchen sink, but it does WORK! That's good enough for me. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
Top Top