Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 10:14:17 AM EDT
I'm looking to start another project rifle, except this time I don't have my buddy in NY to help with the barrel work.  

I need a good gunsmith on Long Island, who isn't really expensive, or your general idea on what it should cost.

I'm looking to have a Chromoly barrel blank chambered, threaded, finished (matte) and crowned for a 308.  (Lapping the lugs and squaring the action also.)  It is already rifled.  

If I'm missing anything, let me know, but I'm looking for a ballpark price for this work on my Rem 700.

Anyone think a 300 short mag would be better for accuracy and distance?  

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Cost? As much as you wanna spend. >gg<

I'd do a couple of things for locating a 'smith: 1)call the local gunshops & see who they recommend. Call several & see if the same 'smith is named by more than one shop.  2)go to the gunsmith's Top 100 club site & see if one is close to you. Check Am Handgunner web site if you can't find a link.

I'd stick with the .308 cal, IMO. Ammo choices are much much better than 300WSM.

Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top