Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2002 9:59:38 AM EDT
I finally have my FAB10 and RRA build up completed.  The upper is an A2 with Chrome lined bore/chamber, 16-inch barrel with a USGI flash suppressor and bayonet lug.  The lower is an RRA parts kit with a few USGI parts thrown in and a 6 position collapsible stock.  I’m going to the range this weekend

Sorry I don’t have pictures right now, my digital camera ate all my batteries so I need to get new ones. [:\]

Marksmanship question
I know for the most part the biggest factor in determining accuracy is the shooter and not the weapon or ammo <although consistent ammo helps>.  I want to practice shooting standing unsupported with iron sites this weekend.  So my question is at what range in yards and group size am I actually shooting like an expert/good/not so good/needs improvement/needs lots of improvement/ you’re better of with the bayonet than the rifle.

Thanks for the info,
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hitting the paper is always a good thing.  At 100 yards, 6 inch groups are ok(a kill is a kill), 3 inch groupings are average, 1 inch groupings or less is outstanding.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
6 inch groups mean that its time to get tested for Parkinsons!  

Aim for under 3" which would be a pretty decent goal for the first time standing.  A little tip for you ... when you're shooting, try to practice taking shots using the sway of your body instead of trying to fight it.  Trying to stand perfectly still will lead you to worse groupings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hitting the paper is always a good thing.

No it's not!!!

Paper
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hitting the paper is always a good thing.

No it's not!!!

Paper

oops, sorry Paper.  No offence intended.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys,
I should have batteries when I go the range, so I’ll get a few pictures then.  It sounds kind of hard to hit anything under 6” from 100y but I’m sure it can be done with enough practice.

I was thinking about bring some water balloons to the range and set those up as targets.  It’s going to be neat to see those things explode at 50 yards
<I know it says in the manual that you shouldn’t shoot at water, but I would think that this would be ok, that do you guys think?>
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Sulaco:

The target for standing for highpower rifle has an X ring of 1.5 MOA, a 10 ring of 3.5 MOA, and a 9 ring of 6.5 MOA.  For all except those who majored in math, 1MOA equals 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 inch at 200 yards, etc.   The standard course of fire is 20 shots at 200 yards.  The record is something like 200-15X (I think).  Judge your performance accordingly.

BTW, unsupported water (balloons) make great targets.

HTH....SRM  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top