Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 8:49:47 PM EDT
Is Cabela's 1860 Army any good?  I am thinking about getting one and I was wondering how the accuracy and quality are.  Also, when reloading does anyone know if you can swap cylinders for a fast reload on these pistols, or am I thinking of some other pistol?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Myself and a co-worker bought these around 5-6 years ago when Cabela's had them on sale. Were impressed with the quality. Nice well made guns for the money. Think we paid $89 or $99. I've never shot mine but other guy has and loved it. Of course today Cabela's may very well be getting them from a different manufacter.Can't say. May be wrong but I think you have to drive the wedge out to remove cylinder. No speedy reloads if thats the case. Cabela's always seems to sell good quality stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Cabella's is a great place to buy a black powder revolver because you can return it if there is anything wrong with it.  They mostly sell Pietta stuff.  Pietta is decent quality but sometimes hit and miss.  Go over to sassnet.com and search their forum for Cabella's and you'll see what I'm talking about.

You can swap cylinders quickly on the 1858 Remingtons, but not a Colt clone.  Your barrel key should be in pretty tight which would preclude quick swaps.

See the Clit Eastwood movie "Pale Rider" if you want to see a cylinder swap on the 1858 Remington.  Other than the lecherous overtones with the impossibly hot young girl I think it's a great flick.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a good revolver, if you like to smoke up the range. A mop bucket with hot soapy water is the best way to clean it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#4]
i believe cabelas sells an italian import, which is fine. i own a pedersoli. the italians have been making guns for 500 or 600 years. as mentioned above, the cylinder is not convenient to swap on the colt type, the remingtons are better for that. they are as accurate as any other pistol. clean with boiling water, then oil to prevent rust, just like any other black powder piece. they are wonderful to shoot, a pain to load.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]
In defense of Colts:

I never ever heard of a steel-framed Colt replica shooting loose. My 1851 Navy has battered it's wedge to the point where it sometimes pops loose mid-string, but there is no noticeable battering, wear or looseness to the barrel, cylinder pin slot or frame.

And in their day, the Colt did enjoy a reputation for being better than the Remington. I can't say if this was actually justified, or just one of those mass popular delusions like voting Democrat.

I always felt the Colt sights were easier to tweak in than the Remington's. Most percussion revolvers come shooting way high at practical ranges, so you need a higher front sight or a lower rear sight. The front sights seem permanently installed. With a Colt, you just file down the hammer nose a bit, then recut the notch. While you're at it you can recut the notch off center to fix any windage problem. If you are a real klutz and screw it up totally, hammers are cheaper than frames.

What the hell is "stainless steel"?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top