Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/17/2002 4:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2002 4:20:13 PM EDT by 1911greg]
well I thought it was funny but today at the gun store an employee is trying too train another employee how too hand a customer a gun so he tells him you check the hole for any bullets then close the action and hand them the gun so the guy acts like he is the customer and the trainee picks up the gun pointing it in the direction of the other employe has his finger on the trigger and is goes too rack the slide when the hammer falls and goes "CLICK" it was funney watching the guy try too explain too the new guy how you don't want too point the gun at the customer and especially keep your finger off the trigger! damn I will never ask that guy too show me a gun. I don't understand why everyone who doesn't handle guns very often wants too keep there finger on the trigger?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:38:30 PM EDT
Jeez ! Good thing there were no bullets in the hole. That would really hurt if one would have come out the other hole really fast.
Your right, sounds like a good guy to just stay away from, No tellin if he may be playin with "bullets" when no ones looking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:43:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:48:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:11:43 PM EDT
That's the truth, Troy!
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:44:52 PM EDT
amen. an AD can freak even the most experienced and confident gun handler. amatuer or prefessional. i have never had one because i am a chamber checking nazi. ever had someone check the chamber and hand you a weapon only to have you check the chamber. they give you that "WTF" look.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:14:54 PM EDT
Hello my name is Luavul and I too, am a chamber checking nazi.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:24:29 PM EDT
I too have to fall into this line, guess I am a nazi.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:30:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
I don't understand why everyone who doesn't handle guns very often wants too keep there finger on the trigger?

Because it's a natural instinct that (in most cases) has been reinforced by decades of movies, TV, books, toys, spray cans, etc. Few people REALLY consider the implications of accidentally firing a round until they have their first ND.

-Troy

It's not really movies/books/toys, its more power tools, glue guns, and all of the other modern "pistol grip" devices. If I'm using a power drill, my finger is on the trigger 99% of the time, because it is quicker to use that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:36:25 PM EDT
[slowly raising hand] Chamber Nazi.

It IS the most natural place to put your finger. Try to teach any kid that has never handled guns - even toy guns - and the thing you will say most for the next hour or so is "What is your finger doing on the trigger?". They pull it off, it goes back...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:37:59 PM EDT
Speaking of screw ups, its hard to train yourself. I swept someones head with the barrel of a 12 gauge the other day at the range. It was loaded, although safety on, and I was holding it with one hand on the forend while grabbing more shells to load with the other hand. I then leaned a little more to grab another box. Then, I got a comment from someone who noticed the barrel aiming at them(as I should have). I apologized and made sure it didn't happen again.

I am usually a nazi about safety, but slipped up that time. That's why you have to always observe all safety precautions I guess, so if you do miss something, you are still protected(in my case safety was on).
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:26:33 PM EDT
I find myself treating everything with a trigger, such as power tools and spray cleaners, like a gun. At least I'll never start up a drill motor with the key in the chuck, or have an ND with a bottle of Windex and spray it in the dog's face.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:48:43 PM EDT
I sincerly hope you, without treating him like an idiot, showed him the proper way to handle a firearm.

I too am a chamber nazi. Hell, after dry fireing a dozen times I'll still look in the chamber to make sure all I have is a snap cap. Wierd.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:34:32 AM EDT
I had a similar experience, but it was a long time store employee, who was also a police officer! He picked up a bolt action rifle, never opened the action, pointed it level at a wall (of which there were people on the other side) and pulled the trigger CLICK! My jaw dropped as I too am a chamber checking nazi, big time. I shook my head and made a comment. I now live happily 600 miles from that store:-)

Mike
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:21:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2002 7:26:50 AM EDT by I_run_with_scissors]
Several years ago (during the police revolver era) I showed my sergeant my brand new 686. H e wipped the cylinder open and dumped the shells on his desk, brought the gun to eye level and made a perfect .357 diameter hole in the chiefs door. Too say the least I was daised, sore ears and stained shorts. Big sarge failed to remove all the shells that time and created an embarrassing situation for his self. It's 15 years later, the hole is still there and the sarge is long gone.

Sometimes you need to be a cylinder nazi too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:36:29 AM EDT
I don't think this guy has ever handled a gun before.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:25:45 AM EDT
a friend of my dad was "Dry Firing" by aiming at the tv. well once he didnt check his chamber and well he needed a new tv after that one.

i always check the chamber/cylender hell even drop the magazine just to make sure
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:58:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:
amen. an AD can freak even the most experienced and confident gun handler. amatuer or prefessional. i have never had one because i am a chamber checking nazi. ever had someone check the chamber and hand you a weapon only to have you check the chamber. they give you that "WTF" look.

"Trust but verify."

I check everything that comes into my hands and I give gentle nudges to those that don't.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:33:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
well I thought it was funny but today at the gun store an employee is trying too train another employee how too hand a customer a gun so he tells him you check the hole for any bullets then close the action and hand them the gun so the guy acts like he is the customer and the trainee picks up the gun pointing it in the direction of the other employe has his finger on the trigger and is goes too rack the slide when the hammer falls and goes "CLICK" it was funney watching the guy try too explain too the new guy how you don't want too point the gun at the customer and especially keep your finger off the trigger! damn I will never ask that guy too show me a gun. I don't understand why everyone who doesn't handle guns very often wants too keep there finger on the trigger?

Go grab a broomhandle, shovel handle, glass of water. You grabbed it with the full hand didnt you? its a natural grip. since the grip of a pistol is small enough to grab one handed. they grip it naturally. The positioning of the trigger for use by the index finger puts it in the way of the "natural" grip, the mind will automatically move the finger around or through the obstacle. However once trained not to do that it becomes second nature to not slip the index finger into the trigger gaurd. but under it and around the grip or alongside the slide/barrel.
Top Top