Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 4:07:52 PM EDT
I saw my dad oiling up his .45 the other with auto oil, "what the f*ck are you doing?" I asked him he said he was just lubeing up his piece I was checking it out and the oil was all over the magazines and rounds I told him that I thought oil eats primers but I don't think he believes me,
so I will ask the gun experts does automotive oil eat primers?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I suppose if you use a motor oil on a rifle it would be ok for a short time. But I wonder about the long term damage incurred by it as most motor oils also have detergents built into them. Also I figure the combustion chamber of rifle would get hotter than the engine block of an auto, so would the motor oil sludge up? Like cleaning an AR-15 after shooting all day could be a little HARDER for us?
   At the least, if your weapon starts smoking it would be a good time to check your valve seals...LOL

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Mobel 1 @ $3.50 a bottle is a great way to protect your firearms. First I clean the rifle/pistol and the coat the firearm slighty with the oil.  I let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it off with a clean cloth.  Leaves my AR's with a nice deap black hue.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
For 2 months I've been using motor oil on the exterior of my AR15, as recommended by Bushmaster:

http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/cleaning-repairfaqs.asp#7

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Theoretically, motor oil in the right viscosity for the job should be a good firearm lubricant, as it's made to handle heat and is to prevent accelerated wear at friction points.  I've decided I'm going to try it.
Yes, I would say keep it away from primers and with a semi auto pistol, use conservative amounts of any oil, unless you want a face full of oil the first few shots from the recoiling slide.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I use high temp bearing grease on my M-1, M-1 carbine, M-14S and M1911A1. I use LSA or CLP on my firearms that require oil rather than grease. Proper lubes aren't so expensive that I need to go cheap but in a pinch it wouldn't bother me to use motor oil. Any lube is better than no lube I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have use rear end axel gear oil before. Stinks though.
GG
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Will Zmax work good?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
DO NOT USE MOTOR OIL IN YOUR GUNS!!!!!!!!!!

Damn guys,motor oils are made to eat up any thing they come in contact with in a motor it will do the same thing in a gun.
And it's heavy,it will hold gunk and junk and you will need to brake the all the down evey time you shoot it.
that not so good for ARs I have found.

Anyway it would smell like a 71 Ford busted a piston ring or something after the gun gets hot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe Bushmaster, in their armorer's video, uses motor oil to lube up the carrier assembly.  I'll have to watch the video again to make sure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I am sure motor oil will work fine but it is too thin for my needs and yes it is bad for your primers.

Stick with CLP for most all of your applications and use a heavy gun approved grease for all others.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am sure motor oil will work fine but it is too thin for my needs

Dude! if motor oil is to thin what do you use crude?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
To hell with the motor oil! I use a full synthetic gun oil made by Castrol its really good lube,you should check it out!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you ever seen any rust inside the workings of an engine?  Naah, I haven't either.  It is a very accepted method of lubricating firearms and I don't think you really have to worry about viscosity breakdown.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Any oil will destroy primers.  Automotive oil will stand up to anything going on in a gun.  You don't want it in the chamber or bore anyway (when actually shooting), so that's not a problem.  The detergents in motor oil won't have any bad effects on the metal.  They don't eat cast iron or aluminum engine parts, so why would they harm firearms metals?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I use Ronald McDonalds deep fry oil that they are going to throw out.

It's an old Indian trick, after the gun gets hot it smells so good it tends to make everyone hungry and they leave the range all to myself.

I also feel bits of flaming fry shooting out the end of the barrel every so often is a small price to pay for the great smelling special effects I achieve with,  "Ronald's, get'em while they're hot" gun oil.

www.corrosionx.com/tech.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I never use motor oil on any firearm, but I don't see it as a problem. Like someone said any lube is better than no lube. Being that break free CLP is what I used on all weapons in the Corps, that is what I will continue to use. I clean my weapons every week, like I was trained to do and since CLP is not very expensive, I don't see any reason to substitute it with motor oil. The way I see it, if it was better than CLP or other designated weapons cleaners, the military would adopt it as standard issue.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Am-O-Tramp,

Hahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an early Colt A2 govt carbine, a friend has a bushy,,, he told me they reccomended NON-DETERGENT motor oil,, I don't know if for all use, or just on the outside,,, I bought some non-det, for my push mower,, tried some shell I think and it was clear as water,, have been using advance store brand which is colored about like any other motor oil,,, anybody seen this crystal clear ND oil before??? may try some on the outside?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
The bit about how motor oil will mess up a gun is nonsense. It works great and will last longer than most "gun" oils. I'm talking first hand about Mobil 1 systhetic 5w30. I will bet all my Big Game lotto tickets that the Castrol syn. gun oil is repackaged motor oil also. Just make sure it's 100% synthetic and save some money by not buying little 1 ounce bottles of "gun" oil that cost 20 times more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#21]
How can you tell if a motor oil is non-detergent? The motor oil I've been using on my AR15 doesn't say anything about detergent, is that good enough?

This all makes me want to try putting gunpowder in my gas tank.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How can you tell if a motor oil is non-detergent? The motor oil I've been using on my AR15 doesn't say anything about detergent, is that good enough?

This all makes me want to try putting gunpowder in my gas tank.

Go to the Auto parts store and buy lawnmower oil, its non det.
GG
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Use TW25B from Mil-Comm instead.
Check it out at www.milcomm.com
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah but now that warmer weather is coming show I now change from 20W-50 to 10W-30 or should I hold off for another month ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top