Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 3:51:33 PM EDT
    I seem to be hearing alot about the "apparant" lack of power of the 5.56mm FMJ. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding JSP or specifically JHP wound ballistics ( Like the 69 grain Federal JHP) ?
    I know we all have seen PAGES of debate over the "old" and the "new" FMJ rounds, and yes, I know the Geneva Convention specifically states there is to be "No expanding rounds" used in Warfare.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
    I seem to be hearing alot about the "apparant" lack of power of the 5.56mm FMJ. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding JSP or specifically JHP wound ballistics ( Like the 69 grain Federal JHP) ?
    I know we all have seen PAGES of debate over the "old" and the "new" FMJ rounds, and yes, I know the Geneva Convention specifically states there is to be "No expanding rounds" used in Warfare.

Actually it is the Hague Convention which required the use of FMJ rounds by signatory nations. The US is NOT a signatory nation but abides by it anyway.

(I never could figure out why CIVILIAN gun owners were in such a tizzy about abiding by the rules of warfare and using only FMJ's, since such rules do NOT apply to them.)

Yes. Hollow point or Hunting Ammo gives better performance. Probably the BEST short range performance is given by Hornady VMAX 40 grain ammo for .223.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you BT...
  But what range do U consider "Short range" ?
Under 500 yds, under 200?

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
    Thank you Troy...I'm fairly new to this LOVELY site. I shall troll my way over there as we speak..

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't think that FMJ 5.56 is adequate, take a look at this:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=108118

and the pics here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=106415&page=4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top