Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 4:09:07 AM EDT
Has anyone else noticed that in the first three parts there hasn't been a BAR carried or used anywhere in the show? If I remember right they do show up later in the series. But just seemed strange to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:Has anyone else noticed that in the first three parts there hasn't been a BAR carried or used anywhere in the show? If I remember right they do show up later in the series. But just seemed strange to me.

Considering the show is based on a paratroop company, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I'm not the biggest WWII scholar around but it makes sense that the airborne infantry wouldn't be packing too many (heavy ass) MG's.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#2]
In WWII US Airborne units usually did not drop with the BAR, it was too heavy. They normally had a higher number of submachine guns than a regular infantry unit to make up for the lost firepower. You will see BARs later on in the series.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
How about on DVD?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Sancho-

Nope, even on DVD, they aren't carrying BARs.

Seriously, it is being released, I think I saw it at Costco, but if not, it is coming out any day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a damn good series.  Best of all, shortly after watching the series, I went to Normandy and saw the area for myself.  It was cool
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just watching episodes 4 and 5 last night... in Operation Market Garden, when they're at... Eindhoven, I think, I did see a BAR there a couple times, even a grease gun or two.  It makes sense, tho, not too many paratroopers carried heavy weapons like that.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I would think that they wouldn't want to give up the squad firepower of a BAR!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top