Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 1:42:28 PM EDT
I've been bit by the 1911 bug, I dont want to put it off any longer.  Can someone please give me a source for a used goverment m1911 45 pistol?  Or if you have one for sale?  I have been unable so far to find  many that people are willing to give up.  Thanks -Charlie
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Two clear options for ya:
1) go to a local gunshow, even if you have to drive a hour or two.

2) get a copy of Gun List newspaper from the bookstore & find what you want & have a local FFL do the transfer for you. If you send the money yourself you shouldn't have to pay sales tax.

Don't buy the first "deal" you stumble in to. When you announce to some dealers that you want one bad, he'll sell you a bad one.

Try to stick with one of three brands: Springfield Armory, Colt or Norinco.

ALWAYS have someone else check out the gun if it's used. You never know who's been homeworking on the gun previously.

Kimbers are very good but they usually cost a lot more than the standard 1911s.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for Kimber. I love my Compact CDP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Can someone please give me a source for a used goverment m1911 45 pistol?

Kimber does NOT qualify. He said he wanted a GOVERNMENT SURPLUS 1911A1.
Unless you're willing to pay big money for someone's Remington-Rand or Ithaca 1911A1, you're SOL. The gubmint got out of the surplus handgun bidness a long time ago. The Argentine 1911A1s are another alternative (some were actually made by Colt) and can be had from most of these military small arms distributors (S.O.G., AIM Surplus, etc.) and go for $400 or less. Still another choice would be a Springfield, Inc. "MILSPEC 1911A1" or a Kahr/Auto Ordnance "WWII parkerized" 1911A1.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know where to find them but if you looking for the least expensive G.I. M1911A1 it would be a Remington Rand. Decent shooter examples can still be had in the $500.00-$600.00 range if your willing to look. Go Culvers Shooting Page and ask around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm unclear on exactly what you're referring to.  If you want a government-issued US property 1911, you're going to pay at least 500, unless you stumble across some bastardized hack job that ruins the collector's value.

If you do get a vintage 1911 like that, you will probably not want to do anything to hurt the value, which means you will probably be stuck shooting it more or less like it is.  And since half the fun of the 1911 is tinkering with them, you will soon find yourself looking for another one.

I suggest finding a current production model like the SA Milspec, plain-jane Colt, or possibly an Auto Ordnance.  Good 1911's that aren't being produced any more include the Norinco (can still be had around $300-350) and the Sistema Colt (used but serviceable).
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
You can get a new Springfield Mil-Spec for $449.  You might want to weigh the price difference of new and used.  I have a Mil-Spec with 800 rounds through it without a problem.  I have a Mil-Spec Operator on layaway.. I love these things.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys for all the replies.  Has anyone heard of the new Rock Island Armory milspec 1911 clones?  The price is right, but I dont have any experience with it.  It was evaluated in a 1911 article in the last SGN.  Thanks again guys, but I still dont know which way to go with this.   -Charlie
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Rock Island Armory milspec 1911 clones

You mean SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, INC.

HIT THE LINK

Rock Island Armory is a government arsenal, they're not in the retail handgun business. Springfield Armory, Inc. is a private company using an associated name.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Jim Dandy,
take a look in a shotgun news, Rock Island Armory does exist.  In fact they are selling 1911 style pistols at a very good price.  www.rockisland45.com         -Charlie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top