Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2002 6:55:00 PM EDT
I have been reading about this new cartridge and wanted to get some input from other people. Is this is just another round that will fade away or if it is decent varmint round that will be around for awhile? Tell me what you think.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like something a weak fart would knock around. ill stick to my 243
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a neat idea, but why?  The .22 has been around for 150 years and still going strong with so many loadings as to make most other rounds near this size little more than novelties. Factor in .22 WMR and why would you want something else without moving up to centerfire.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is this is just another round that will fade away or if it is decent varmint round that will be around for awhile?

Well, only time will tell. I've done a lot of research on the little .17, and initial reports are very encouraging:

- Quiet

- recoil won't disrupt sight picture

- shoots flatter, and has less wind drift than the .22 mag

- more accurate than the .22 mag

This isn't to say that it was designed to replace the 22mag, it's not. The .22 mag is capable of taking bigger game (Coyotes) while the .17 HMR should be delegated to smaller (Prairie Dog, Crow) sized game out to around 200yds. At $8.00 per 50, it's cheaper to shoot than most centerfires. I think it's a neat round. Just another option.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
they're supposed to have a flatter trajectory than the 22WMR, according to the ads in magazines anyway.  held one at a show last month (ruger i believe) and thought it was pretty neat.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
they're supposed to have a flatter trajectory than the 22WMR, according to the ads in magazines anyway.  held one at a show last month (ruger i believe) and thought it was pretty neat.  

Haven't held one personally, but I've seen the ads showing the trajectory as well.  If the advertising is anything like reality, it shoots very flat to 200 yards compared to the .22 mag.

I do admit I'd like to try one or hear from those who have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I am supposed to have one of the Stainless Marlins on the way... go to the Marlin site, they have a rimfire forum,, couple of pages back a Varmit Al  has some great pictures of what they call out west ground squirrels,, looks like our tree squirrels  only tail not quite as long,,, its devestating on these, and does not exit... large groundhogs will be pushing its capabilities.. he even has a video of it hitting a diet coke can.. I shoot a lot of crows out of my bedroom through the sliding door with my 22-250 and it rattles the windows.. these shots are at about 90-135 yards,,and this seems like a great gun to do this with...about the cost of me loading my 250,, but not factoring in the time involved which is at a real premimum,,, so far Ruger Marlin, NEF and Anshutz are going to chamber rifles for it with I think a semi-auto pistol. the bullet is only 17 grains,, and offers hardly any ricochet potential,, after penetrating only 1" of clay the largest piece weighs only 9 grains.. why its only good on smaller game...
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait till all the problems subside......then there may be some "never fired" used ones..cheap........
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Judging by the 5mm Rem RF, those of you who are attracted to this cartridge might think about buying 10 cases of ammo to stash...
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I think this one may outlast the 5mm since Ruger made a rotary mag for it.  It may be a good candidate for a takedown rifle.  Longer range then the other rimfires and less potential for ricochet.  I am going to wait and then get one at the end of the year in stead of a 22 WMR.  Just another fun gun to have.

And buy 10 cases of ammo to stash for it just in case.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If they make one in a semi, a la the 10/22, I would be pretty interested in it as a fun gun/backyard gun/newbie trainer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are a couple of links that have alot of info about the .17hmr
www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
.17HMR
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#12]
it looks like it has some potential.  I'll bite if they can keep ammo costs down.  the .22wmr I have doesnt see that much action ($$)  I might even consider rebarreling the .22wmr for it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a cute little round, but why not go for a case with more capacity for more punch?  Are the brass reloadable?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top