Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2002 5:46:13 AM EDT
I've got a dysfunctional Savage Model 1909 pump-action .22 that I'd like to refinish and get working.  Of course, I don't have an owner's manual, let alone anything showing how to break it down or strip it.  I ordered the schematic drawing from Numrich's but it's kind of fuzzy and isn't much help in showing how all the parts go together.  

Anyone got any ideas or info?
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried talking to Savage?

Another possibility is a series of books, "Exploded firearms , and disassembly guides". I believe it's the same publisher that does the Shooter's Bible..

I'll see if I have more info in the shop..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Ohhkay.. You have a real interesting piece there.. It's basic design seems to have been used by at least five companies-
Savage, in the 1909 pump, AND the 1912 auto,
A firm known as "Batavia", supposedly the origionators of the design..
Febiger, in an automatic..
and Schmeisser in their 1912 auto..
(Gun Collector's Digest, Fifth edition has a decent article on em..)

Anyhow, from what I'm seeing in the piccies, it's a simple takedown action.. What is the rifle doing, or not doing?

Or are you just worried about getting er back together after you do a reblue? (A hint. Polaroid. Take pictures as you disassemble it..)

Hope this helped a bit.. It IS an odd piece.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to drop a note or call Brownells.  They have several books and references on guns that are available.

Might check with NRA and see if any of their old issues spotlighted your .22.  Also seems they have several editions of exploded views.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Meplat:

The problem with the rifle as I understand it (it's my dad's and he's supposed to be bringing it to me to work on) is that when you chamber a round, it immediately fires.  Insert loaded mag, work the action, and "BANG".

I've looked at the Gun Digest Guides to Firearms Assembly and Dissassembly but can't find anything on the 1909.  I'll try e-mailing Savage, but I'm not holding my breath that they'll have anything on such an old model.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Eswanson- Yeah, that's a problem..

One of two things could be occuring. I'll work on the assumption that this rifle has no disconnector..

First, when you take it down,
(Large thumsrew, right hand of the reciever, above the trigger..The action should split, leaving the left side of the reciever, and the rear portion, while the right upper reciever, and barrel assemblies come loose.. )
you should be able to see the sear surfaces. Note any wear, or fouling from lube..Trying the action, to see if the hammer falls on a spent case would help the diagnosis..

Second, inspect the bolt, and see if the firing pin is frozen in place. Not a common problem, but I've seen at least one AR-7 turn into a full auto from this..

I have some B&W piccies of the rifle, but they are very detoriated.. Any you post can help..

I'll see if I can find more info..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Meplat:

When I get the rifle and get it pulled apart, I'll steal the digital camera from work and e-mail you some pics.  I was figuring it was a sear problem, but given the condition of the rifle, I wouldn't doubt that it's a frozen firing pin.  

Thanks for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top