Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 4:39:03 PM EDT
Should this cheap russian wolf type ammo be avoided? Does anybody have a source for good but cheap ammo?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me be the first

ammoman.com
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the board by the way

I have used the Russian ammo in the past.  I did not have any problems at the range but the case is laqured and can build up in the chamber.  There is also reason to believe that the jacket of the bullet has some steel and can cause barrel wear.

Personally I love SA (South African) Surplus ammo.  It is cheap and very reliable.

ammoman.com  (All prices are the delivered price)
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used quite a bit of Wolf ammo with no problems.  The only "true" faults of this ammo that I have seen is that the powder burns dirtier than most other ammo.  This means that you simply have to clean your gun a little more often which may in turn be the cause of the so-called melting chamber syndrome I've seen some complain of.  The only other draw back I've seen is that Wolf is slightly less accuarate than surplus ammo.  It's a lot less accurate than premium loads, but the two should never be compared to begin with.

If you are looking for a cheap inexpensive plinking round, then Wolf is the ticket.

If you want competition ammo, this ain't it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm reconsidering my opinion of this stuff. Avoid it. I'm tired of it always being out of stock..

For all the people that hate it, the local shops sure run out of it in a hurry..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience with Wolf ammo was blown primers. It explodes backwards and blows down into the mag dumping the contents at your feet. The only ammo failure I've ever experienced. I fired five rounds of that sheet and 3 blew primers. I disassembled the rest, but the steel cases ruined my RCBS hammer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I think if you run a search on Wolf ammo you will have plenty to read.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used Wolf in .223, 7.62x39 and .45 ACP.  Never any problems at all other than in a tight-tolerance .45 Kimber Ultra Elite.  Works fine in the bigger Kimber, a Springfield, a couple of Colts and a Sig245.

I have gotten to the point where I'll shoot it only in the AKs (both 7.62 and .223) as they're sloppy on tolerances but not the ARs due to the lacquer and tighter tolerances.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as it's your blaster rifle you won't hurt anything. As shooters we sometimes tend to be arrogant about our hobby. My friend used to buy it by the case. I swore by SA. After about 8000 rounds there is'nt any appreciable difference in our Colts. He just saved some money. If you like it and it's reliable, shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm on my second thousand without a problem..   Wolf! Wolf!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top