Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 7:49:17 PM EDT
ok, been shooting rifles, shotguns, autos and revolvers all my life...but i am now goin' to purchase my first revolver (yes, 8 hanguns, no revolvers) anyhow i have a couple questions

1.) does anyone have any pictures showing the difference between a "round butt" and a "square butt" S&W? ive seen/shot some that are extremely round and i like that.

2.) is there a size (frame) difference between a M19 and a 586? i think the 586 is beefier? better able to withstand magnum rounds?

3.) how many rounds are too many for a revolver (timing and whatnot) im looking at a 586 with about 900 38spec and 100 357 rounds.

4.) this is an odd question BUT...has anyone heard of a finish called "malanite", "malinite", or "melanite". ( i havent but maybe someone has? )

thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:30:19 PM EDT
Unless you're buying an older model S&W, I'm not totally sure they still make the square butt models. I **think** they're all round butts now.

Yes, the model 19 & 586 are two different frame sizes. The "J" frames are the little 5 shot snubnose models, the "K" frames are the model 19, 64, 65, 66, etc. "L" frames have the full-lugged barrel such as a 586, 681, etc. "N" frames are the models 29 (44mag), 25, 629, etc.

Go get a copy of Gun List newspaper at a bookstore such as Barnes & Noble & you'll find a bunch of S&Ws listed at various prices. I buy almost all of my S&Ws used in order to save money.

As for timing & cylinder play/shake, it depends on the loads you use rather than specific calibers. 4000-5000 rds w/o any major problems aren't unheard of unless one is shooting maximum/hunting loads almost all of the time.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:42:16 AM EDT
SkaerE, I'm a reformed wheelgunner myself.

The S&W 586 is a very good gun. It has good balance and should handle a substantial ammount of magnum loads. Unless you are getting a great deal on the 586, or are a big fan of S&W, might I suggest you check out the Ruger GP100. I'm not a big fan of Ruger semi-autos, but IMHO they make the best revolver out there. When you look in a reloading manual you will see two different catagories for .357 magnum; loads for the Thompson contender and Ruger, and loads for everything else. Ruger revolvers will take an inordinant ammount of abuse. Mine had over 40k rounds through it when I retired it from service.
Top Top