Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/10/2002 12:16:35 AM EDT
About three months ago I purchased a SAR-8, as many of you know. The rifle looked like it had never been cleaned, anyway, cleaned it all up, shot it...jammed over and over again.
Today:
I thought the rifle had sustained some damage due to the previous owner, though, just today I confirmed that it was not actually the gun itself, rather, the supplied Thermold magazines. In 40rnds the Thermolds caused the rifle to jam three times. When I cycled through 60rnds with the HK Alloy mags... there not one single jam.

Moral of the story: HK-91/G3 Thermold magazines are not worth the money, nor the effort.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:43:18 AM EDT
My buddy had the same problem with his STG58 FAL clone. Changed to regular metal mags and the jamming, FTF & FTE problem disappeared.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:49:19 AM EDT
I have some problems with the alloy mags in my 91. The feed lips on them tend to bend quite easily.

No problems whatsoever with any of my steel mags or my 2 thermolds, tho.

Glad you figured out the problem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:17:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SKSGuy:
Moral of the story: HK-91/G3 Thermold magazines are not worth the money, nor the effort.

The real moral of the story is to not make blanket assumptions. Thermolds work just fine in my HK, but not my AR???
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:25:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SKSGuy:
About three months ago I purchased a SAR-8, as many of you know. The rifle looked like it had never been cleaned, anyway, cleaned it all up, shot it...jammed over and over again.
Today:
I thought the rifle had sustained some damage due to the previous owner, though, just today I confirmed that it was not actually the gun itself, rather, the supplied Thermold magazines. In 40rnds the Thermolds caused the rifle to jam three times. When I cycled through 60rnds with the HK Alloy mags... there not one single jam.

I don't know about that. I have 34 of them for my HK91 that I've been using since 1994. They work just fine for me.

QS
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:32:37 AM EDT
I've had pretty good luck with the thermolds too. Even in my HK51 in full-auto, fire-breathing mode they work fine. Maybe the particular mags you've got are just bad. What kind of SAR8; alum or steel?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:36:32 AM EDT
Aluminum reciever.
Regarding the Thermolds, they may have recieved abuse much like the poor rifle itself, I should correct my statement: "be weary of Thermolds for your g3 clones. I have not had good experiences with them"

Touché
Top Top