Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2002 1:48:58 PM EDT
I'm considering putting a folding stock on my Remington 870 but I don't know if that is post-ban legal. Would it be criminal to protect my family with this gun?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:58:04 PM EDT
As far as I know there is no preban -postban designation on a 870.you can do what you want as far as I know as long as the barrel is 16" or longer .You might have to check local laws but I don't know of any federal bans.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:06:09 PM EDT
There are no federal laws regulating what you can do to your pump shotty (besides the barrel length). Do what you will: extended mag, pistol grip, folding stock...have a blast!

BTW, as jcb said, check your local laws first.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:09:43 PM EDT
I understood that shotgun barrels had to be 18" long. Is that wrong?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:20:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shadowblade:
I understood that shotgun barrels had to be 18" long. Is that wrong?

that is correct shotgun barrels must haev a minnumum barrel lenght of 18 inches or be registered as nfa weapons
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:25:59 PM EDT
is this going to be a house gun? if so, what do you see as the advantage of the folding stock?

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:09:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eurotrash:
is this going to be a house gun? if so, what do you see as the advantage of the folding stock?

1) the ability of transporting your Shotgun in a shorter case.

2)the kewlness factor
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:19:38 PM EDT
The gun laws of 1994 (Brady Bill) do not affect manual action weapons, i.e. bolt action, lever action, and pump action. The Remington 870 is a PUMP action. As for the folding stock get the choate one it is the best out there.

Whoever had to ask the question of why do you need a folding stock is an idiot. Don't you know function and utility have very little importance in the minds of most gun owners.

If your buddies think its cool then that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:59:47 PM EDT
Stowability. Looks. A little less heavy. I also think there might be a tactical advantage around tight corners with the pistol grip. I probobly wouldn't waste time unfolding the stock if I had to confront someone breaking in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:04:22 PM EDT
No removable mag. No problem.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:09:36 PM EDT
In my BM catalog I saw a pistol grip stock for the 1100 (note: SEMI-AUTO). I understood that was a pre-ban only thing. But, in the catalog, it didn't say anything about pre-ban only. I hate the Clintons.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:13:31 PM EDT
There is no real need to aim/point a shotgun at close distance. Less than maybe a few yards, you can shoot a shotgun from the hip and most of the shot will hit the SOB.

That is one thing I love about a shotgun. I was out at the range (Note: There was nobody else using the range) a couple of weeks ago and I setup a wood door, stood about 3 - 6 feet away and fired from the hip until the door was in splinters (litterally). Every single shot hit where I intended and even better made golf ball to softball size holes sending chunks of wood flying several feet behind the door.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:01:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DOCPIG:
Whoever had to ask the question of why do you need a folding stock is an idiot. Don't you know function and utility have very little importance in the minds of most gun owners.

If your buddies think its cool then that is all that matters.

actually, truth be told, i'd wager you're the idiot. (unless you're being sarcastic, in which case you really need to learn to use the smilies, don't you know fights have started this way. )

i'd venture to say that the vast majority of responsible firearms owners couldn't care less what their buddies thought, especially if it looks cool or not.

second, i think function weighs heavily in the minds of firearms owners making additions/changes to their firearms. maybe it's not the most important factor, but it's a factor nonetheless.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:37:58 AM EDT

yea, i'm the idiot. next time i'll know that coolness take precedence over the ability to "protect my family with this gun". thanks for helping me with my priorities.

10112002 - i apprecaited your thoughts.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:58:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Timbo:
A little less heavy.

While the stock is less heavy - I found my folder to be longer than the orginal stock. It made the gun feel MORE heavy when I used it (the weight was now pushed further out and the 'lever' was longer. Somthing to consider.

I also think there might be a tactical advantage around tight corners with the pistol grip.

Not really - Every tried to fire 12 gauge loads with a pistol grip? Hurts the wrist and aiming is a bear - and contrary to urban Legend YOU DO NEED TO AIM A SHOTGUN

Go out and pattern the shotgun sometime. At household distance you will find the shot doesn't spread more than a few inches. It even stays closer together if you use the 'Tactical Buckshot' to help with recoil.

Shooting from the 'hip' - especially under stress just means you are much more likely to miss. Shooting at a door on an empty range IS FAR different then waking up at 0'dark thirty - half asleep - with a goblin comming to get you and your family. Do it the right way - from the shoulder. Ever see a professional entry team do hip shooting with shotguns? Nope - they use shoulder stocks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:53:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
Shooting at a door on an empty range IS FAR different then waking up at 0'dark thirty - half asleep - with a goblin comming to get you and your family.

Good point. One of the reasons I haven't installed a folder (other than my concerns with possible legalities) is the thought of fumbling around with a folding stock, half asleep in the middle of the night. If I ever have to shoot an intruder I plan on pasting him and I would want as many factors in my favor as possible. I'm just glad to hear the Gov't isn't forcing me one way or the other.

My first and foremost requirement is that my gun is dangerous to one person and one person only -the bad guy! That's what'll impress my buddies.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:53:34 PM EDT
I dont realy see the point in a folding stock. All your going to do is unfold it when you shoot anyways if you want a pistol grip just buy a regular pistol grip. and Forest is 100% right all hip shooting is going to do is put more holes in your walls and less in the bad guy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:22:06 PM EDT
Go with a top folding stock, I went with the ATI stock, $69, its not quite as good of quality as the choate, but it looks alot cooler and works great
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:01:33 AM EDT

if you end up in court after blasting somone with that, theres a good chance the term "gun happy' will be used frequently.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:10:06 AM EDT
If you happen to decide to stick with a fixed buttstock, go with a Speedfeed. I love being able to carry the extra rounds in the stock of my 590A1.
Top Top