Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2002 5:56:25 PM EDT
I plan to purchase a gun safe soon.  We don't have alot of room for it in our house.  My wife suggests putting it in the garage (attached to house, enclosed).  Besides security concerns, I am worried that being in the south, the humidity may rust the guns.  Should I be concerned about this (the humidity issue, not the security issue)?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a friend that has his safe in the garage also. He bought one painted white and it looks like a refrigerator from the driveway. Buy a big goldenrod dehumidifier to go in it,use a good gun grease, and check on your babbies often.It works for him!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what your storage needs are, or what you're planning on buying, but the cheapie Homak 8-gun safes will fit nicely in the end of a closet.  It's only about 10" deep, just slide it into the end of the closet and use some toggle bolts to anchor it to the drywall if the mounting holes don't line up to a stud.  It would be a real bitch to get out of there, especially since the narrow clearance on the sides makes it impossible to get a prybar in there.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a torch in the garage, lock your tips in the gunsafe!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Another option to a golden rod is simply putting a low wattage light bulb inside your safe. Leave it on, it shouldn't cost any more to run than a golden rod and the heat from the bulb will keep the air at a constant temperature. Do something, if not the humidity will eventually ruin your firearms.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine's in the garage too since there wasn't a good spot available inside when we bought the current house.  I had the same worry about moisture since we live in a very hot/humid area (Texas).

I use the goldenrod type heater and dessicant boxes with the color coded moisture indicators that tell when it's time for re-baking them, no problems at all in two years now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Do I need a full size dehumidifier, or do they make a goldenrod big enough to dry out roughly 1000 cubic feet?

Sure a golden rod would work.... if you used about 20 of them. For a room this size, I would go with a regular dehumidifier.

With a vault room this size, my life goal would be to have it filled with firearms and ammo so when I retire, I will have plenty of things to do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What would you guys recommend for a walk in vault?  I am incorporating a 12'x12'x7' concrete room in the basement of my new house and am overly concerned about the potential of humidity.  Do I need a full size dehumidifier, or do they make a goldenrod big enough to dry out roughly 1000 cubic feet?

Cope    

If all hell breaks loose, I am comming to your house!!
c-rock
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you have a torch in the garage, lock your tips in the gunsafe!

You beat me to it
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Gun Safes: Security: Buy the most secure Safe that you can afford. If you ask them, safe companies will supply you with information on how secure their safes are. All reputable safe companies get their products rated at Underwriters Laboratory. Underwriters Laboratory will give a safe a rating on how long it takes to break into it, and how long and at what temperature the safe can withstand heat from a fire.

Also place some BOLTS in a concrete floor and BOLT down the safe.

Humidity: I use a lot of dessicant containers in my safe. It works out pretty well. About once every two months I place my dessicant bags in an oven and bake out the moisture before returning them to my safe.

Also I use Cosmoline on weapons that I don't plan on shooting for years.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Up in DFW last year there was some guy that had a giant safe ram set into his garage floor.  Couple of dudes broke into his garage with a lift gate.  Hydraulically lifted the damn thing off the floor breaking the ram set bolts, and carried it off in the truck.  Allegedly it took them about three minutes to do the whole job; start to finish.  Probably took them days to break into the safe.  DO NOT put your safe in a garage; unless you wanna make it "easy" for the "dudes".
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#12]
It might take a little convincing, but, your safe is a piece of funiture, not an appliance.
Having it torched or towed out of your garage with all the contents is WAY TOO freaky to contemplate.
Make room in the house, for safety's sake.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Though I'd rather have the safe in the house, due to space and decorating considerations, it had to go in the garage.  The sucker is bolted down with grade-8 hardware and should get me through till we get a bigger place.  But if you can, squeeze it into the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top