Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/8/2002 5:17:52 PM EDT
I want to make a conversion for an AOW in 9mm and want to use my existing upper. I want to buy just a barrel and bolt/carrier for 9mm. I went to the industry forums and could not find any Olympic site. Anybody have any leads? thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:39:16 PM EDT
www.olyarms.com/usa.html
This is the link to Olympic Arms website. However, you would have a better off getting the Colt 9mm components. The biggest difference between the two system is where the ejector is located. The Colt ejector is on the mag block. The Oly installed the ejector in the upper. It is attached by a long roll pin that goes thru the upper unit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:19:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR18:
www.olyarms.com/usa.html
This is the link to Olympic Arms website. However, you would have a better off getting the Colt 9mm components.

I'm not real sure of the logic behind this statement so I'll try and help.

The Olympic upper is first of all, the original 9mm conversion unit. All others are clones of some sort or another. Granted, all do not function the same way, but ours are unique by design.

I'll start be commenting that you will have a very hard time getting 9mm parts or components from Colt's Manufacturing®. Chances are, you will get nothing, and if you could, it will be cost prohibitive I'm sure. I say this not as a "cut" at Colt's, but as a simple matter of truth. We have customers that have to have weapons repaired and need Colt's specific parts, and they are very hard, if not outright impossible to get. When you can get them, the price is 4-5 times more than what it should be for a parts that is manufactured by someone else with Colt's name on it via some subcontractor agreement.

Conversely, our uppers are 100% compatible on any mil-spec .223/5.56 Ar15 style lower. The uppers contain every modification needed to make our pistol caliber uppers (currently manufacturing 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP) is contained in the upper itself and the magazine. No extra mag blocks to fumble with. No mag well inserts to lose. Change the upper, change the mag and you are ready to rock and roll.

It is a far more universal system than a Colt's and far less expensive. Also, you get a lifetime warranty on every Olympic Component. Can't get that from Colt's at any price!

So in review:
Cheaper
More user friendly
100% interchangeable
Lifetime warranty

So tell me AR18, why do you think you are better of with a Colt's?

The biggest difference between the two system is where the ejector is located. The Colt ejector is on the mag block. The Oly installed the ejector in the upper. It is attached by a long roll pin that goes thru the upper unit.

Again, there are more differences, some of the major ones.

The Colt's 9mm uses a locking bolt system. Ours is a direct blowback which by design is more reliable. Also, because we do not utilize a locking bolt, the entire barrel extension becomes this HUGE feed ramp that allows the Olympic pistol uppers to swallow just about any load you run through them. Hollow points, wad-cutters, truncated, you name it & gobble, gobble, gobble, and it's down range!

The ejector system is simple as well. It is located in the upper receiver itself, not the bolt fact. This is a far more reliable system. The same type systems that are used in almost every major brand of auto loading handguns. Just a simple ejector spring in the base of the upper. It is very reliable and very durable.

Hope this helps.

Tom S.
Oly Arms
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:33:13 AM EDT
Thanks Oly, There are two huge reasons why I want the Olympic 9mm. The magazines are much cheaper for the Oly unit. There is a mag block available to use plain sten mags. The only mags that hold the bolt open on a Colt unit is the Colt mags. They tend to throw up their ammo on you if you drop them or bump them on something. They are very expensive too. The Second reason and more important one is that the Olympic unit does not need a different hammer, or hammer pin and does not elongate the hammer pin hole. The Colt unit has problems with this. There are enough people out there using the Olympic units that the ejector is not an issue.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:53:27 AM EDT
Top Top