Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2002 2:21:34 PM EDT
Does anyone have one of these?  Anyone have pictures?  There has been talk that the 11-87 is more reliable than the Benelli's, anyone have any experience with this?  I've bought to many handguns and its time to get back into the long guns
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned a couple of both and currently own 2 Benellis. The Remington is heavy, cycles slowly compared to the Benelli, and recoils a lot easier being gas operated. As far as reliability is concerned there is not much difference. They both will fail with light or tactical loads on occasion. The Benelli seems more prone to fail to cycle when you add weight to it like surefire lights and sidesaddles when it's new. The Remington did'nt seem to hiccup when these items were added. As per the Benellis sales rep, after several hundred rounds the Benelli seemed to loosen up and has worked perfectly ever since. Both are excellent and will serve you well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, thanks for the reply's.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
somewhat OT, but a great way to break in a benelli is to take it out and run abunch of shoulder pounding 3 inch mag loads through it the first time you take it out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I foolishly sold my 1187P. It does cycle slower than a benlli and weighs more, but the gun built like a brick sh@t house. It also cycles low recoil loads without a problem. I could hold the gun off my hip and dump a mag of reduced recoil loads or practice shells. My friends benelli(M1S90) on the other hand is light, easier to point, and is really finicky about ammo, accesories, shooting position etc. This is his list of problems:
Won't cycle reduced recoil loads
Won't shoot from the hip
He put a side saddle and a surefire light on it and it would not function..period
Here is the worst part, we were shooting clays out of the back of his lifted truck, and he thought he had the shotgun slung over his shoulder, wrong the gun bounced of the bed of the truck and landed right where the reciever and the barrel meet. The ALLOY receiver was ruined! The bolt would not fully close.

IMO Get the 1187 if you are going to use the gun like it's intended. If you want a pretty gun that gets the silicone cloth after a nice day of clays, go with the benelli.
Oh, I will be buying another 1187P ASAP.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top