Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 1:14:40 AM EDT
1 day after a said my battle-gun of choice would be Glock 21 (.45), it broke. One of the steel slide rails broke:

http://www.geocities.com/triangleglocksupreme/GlockPerfection.jpg

Bought it new, 2 months ago.

I'm dead.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a site on the internet that had info on why the Glocks, at one time, didn't pass the DEA's or FBI's testing (I think it was the DEA).

They had tossed the guns and dropped the guns. I think it was 2 of the 5 they had that ended up with broken slide rails.

I had to find the link, to be certain, and post it.

Still, I like my 27 it serves it purpose but for the extreme I prefer my 1911 and USP.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Forget the numbers I stated above.

Here is the link:
communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-gupgrade.html

Scroll down to The DEA "Frisbee Test".
It mentions the problem with the slide rails and the redesign.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. That report mentions slides leaving frames when guns were thrown. In my case, the little slide-rail itself broke right off the frame. I never threw Tyra, I just put 5,000 rounds through her in 2 months (Tyra is/was the gun).

I have to pick a new carry gun from my 1911, USP, and remaining 2 Glocks. Maybe I'll just start carrying the AR (legal here in Tucson, but seldom done). If it's legal, maybe I'll just sit outside Glock Inc. with my AR until they replace the broken gun and give me lots of ammo as a courtesy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Considering how new it is, getting it repaired by Glock shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!

P.S. - I like Tyra too... but that one isn't a Glock. I'd sure like ta shoot her though
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]
All 3 of my Glocks are named "Tyra Banks".
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an early model glock 21 and had 10000 rounds through it before I sold it and no problems, I live here in Ga, where glock is HQ and they are wonderful about customer service, they should repair it with no problem
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
When you are all done with your repair please
post a response on how good they treated you

Try to fix your pic? Cut and paste in browser works.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah I was of course kidding about sitting outside Glock Inc. until they repair the gun. I know they are proud of their reputation for durability, so I expect they will fix Tyra, or replace her if she's beyond fixing.

I feel let down though. I am a _huge_ Glock fan, I own 3 and I've convinced others to buy Glocks -- all because they have a reputation for reliability and durability. I was really surprised that it broke. This is my self-defense weapon, not just a toy, so I want something that I know will work if I need it to.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#10]
shoulda bought HK
(puts flame suit on)
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
shoulda bought HK
(puts flame suit on)

I did:

http://www.geocities.com/triangleglocksupreme/TyraAndCameron.jpg

but then I wanted a better gun (flame)
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently decided to try something other than a Beretta

Bought a Glock 17 on Thursday, liked it so much, I went back and bought the G34 on Friday...

These are awesome friggin guns, and I can't believe it took me so long to get one...
(Stuck on Berettas I guess)

I plan on having the entire Glock line-up by years end...

...'Sorta like collecting Pokeman cards...

I still like the heavy Berettas, but will leave them in the house and truck, while I "carry" the Glock from now on...

I put about 400 rounds through the 17 today, and about 100 through the 34...

Not a single hiccup from either...
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...I plan on having the entire Glock line-up by years end...

If you git yourself a model 31 (357-sig), then you can git it a .40 barrel and swap it with the .357 barrel whenever you want (except when the .357 barrel is too hot, I tried that today).
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#14]
We're looking for a few good handgunners...lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. That report mentions slides leaving frames when guns were thrown. In my case, the little slide-rail itself broke right off the frame. I never threw Tyra, I just put 5,000 rounds through her in 2 months (Tyra is/was the gun).

Obviously you work to afford 5k rounds.  I just can't figure out how the hell you allocated the time to burn it all in two months.

The above comment is commonly referred to as jealousy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Obviously you work to afford 5k rounds.  I just can't figure out how the hell you allocated the time to burn it all in two months.

The above comment is commonly referred to as jealousy.

It's a bad scene. Programmed computer in CA and NYC, saved money, burnt out on liberals and computer-programming, quit working, moved to AZ, bought a bunch of ammo and shot it to feel better. Now no job, no more savings, ammo's running out, and broken gun. Gotta get a job.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought the .357 Sig model was called the Model 33?

The 33 is subcompact 357. The 31 is full-size 357. The 32 is compact 357. Glock model #'s hard to keep track of, they're all here:

http://www.glock.com/te_english.htm

What I was trying to say above is that if you buy any Glock in .357, all you need to do is switch barrels if you want to shoot .40 in it. No other parts or magazines need to be changed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Fed Ex next day air.
Don't wait for months like I did.
I had a cracked feedramp.
When I finally broke down and sent it(my 30)  off, it was back to me in less than 2 weeks.
They even re-tennifered(sp) my well worn slide.

I am very pleased with the customer service!!!

Del
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Fed Ex next day air....I am very pleased with the customer service!!!

Del

Should I call Glock Inc. first so they know the gun is being sent, or do I just drop it in the mail with a letter of explanation?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]
In 1993? Myself and my roommate bought new glock 22's to carry on duty with the S.O.  The first day out with mine the extractor and slide stop broke.  Our armorer replaced them with parts off a county owned gun.  A couple months down the road my roomies Glock had a case rupture and cracked the frame and blew the trigger out the bottom.  (factory new ammo)  He contacted glock and sent them the gun along with an explanation that this was a duty gun and needed to be returned asap.  It was at least 3 months and multiple phone calls before he got a new frame.  I know this was a long time ago but their customer service was pretty crappy then.  Btw previous to this I broke my old Taurus 9mm (purely my fault and so stated on the explanation) and Taurus had a new slide at my door 11 days after mailing mine to them.  That was what we expected from Glock.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]
A broken Glock is of great interest to me. I, like a few others, love my G's. Still, if it's made by man, it will or can be broken. I have three, 27, 22, 23, 30. Ooops, that's four. Looking forward to the G35, but just put the price of that, and more, in a DPMS Bull 24 upper, rings, and a 4-14 lightseeker scope. I would expect Glock to do you right on the broken rails. As I first looked a the Glock, I wondered how they kept the poly and metal together, moulded in I think. Still, it's my choice of system and the .40 is my choice of caliber. Mostly because the full sized .45 is too big for my hands. Like the 1911, own one, but the Glock makes better use of size and weight as far as I'm concerned. I won't say good luck on the repair, Good Customer Service isn't luck, it's either a matter of policy or it's not.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Blaze,

Don't be discouraged. Every make and model of handgun has failed at one time or another, even revolvers which some people refuse to believe but I can personally attest to.

As for the Glock, what happened to you is certainly a rare occurrence. Since there have been thousands of Glocks that have fired thousands of rounds without a blip, get another one and carry on. I have a G21 I bought used. I've put a little over 10,000 round throughit and nothing has broken yet and frankly I don't expect anything will. If it does, well it's just a tool and anything made by man can and will fail occassionally or eventually.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Careful how you get it to them, I was sending a FN-Fal to be re-parkerized, and just to be safe, I checked with the Post office first. They told me that longarms are ok, but handguns were a felony.  They said that I'd have to use an FFL for that.
just my .02
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was sending a FN-Fal to be re-parkerized, and just to be safe, I checked with the Post office first. They told me that longarms are ok, but handguns were a felony.  They said that I'd have to use an FFL for that.
just my .02

Thanks for the warning; but a book and 2 FFL's tell me that a non-FFL _can_ directly overnight Fed Ex a handgun, when it's to or from the manufacturer (maybe also ok to or from a gunsmith) for repair.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Thanks for the warning; but a book and 2 FFL's tell me that a non-FFL _can_ directly overnight Fed Ex a handgun, when it's to or from the manufacturer (maybe also ok to or from a gunsmith) for repair.

You didn't understand the statement. Post Office means the U.S. Postal Service, a Federal Government entity. It is against the law for a non-licensee (i.e. non-FFL holder) to ship a handgun via the U.S. Postal Service with few exceptions.

Federal Express and UPS are privately owned companies who set their very own chickenshit policies. Different animals and a different ball game.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]
don't feel bad my g30 blew up in my dads hand. glocks service sucked. i sold the scrap to a buddy that wanted one. he sent to glock. they first tried to raise the quoted relacement cost by almost 100.00 then said they have a 4-6 week wait for replacement.
He has not even recieved the new g30 yet and has already decided to dump it after looking into all the reported problems. Glock also admitted to him on the phone they have an "off the record" problem with .45's.
After this experience i am off of glocks forever.

mike
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Tyra? Shyt, if I STILL owned my G21, I'm name the big ugly SOB "Janet"
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Blaze,

Don't be discouraged. Every make and model of handgun has failed at one time or another, even revolvers which some people refuse to believe but I can personally attest to.

If it does, well it's just a tool and anything made by man can and will fail occassionally or eventually.

You asked for it!!!

Not my HK!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Having in the past 2 months destroyed a Glock and a Ruger (P97), I realize that I am simply too powerful for normal guns. Gonna have to start carrying AK47.

1911-man: Why is my gunsmith always working on 1911's, never on Glocks?

HK-man: My local PD currently carries HK's. But the HK's have repeatedly gone "click" when they should have gone "bang", so the PD has put in order for Glocks to replace all the HK's.

A dumb city law prohibits the PD from selling the used HK's; they all must be destroyed. I think the PD ought to just give the HK's to me, I'll destroy them no problem.

AK47, the only gun strong enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not trying to start a flame war here but what gives?  I dont know how many times I have seen "Glock Broke" threads.  You would think that after a while people would just give up on them.  I can honestly say I have never heard of anything like this happening to a 1911 or a HK USP.  Both my choice for combat handguns.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]
(I'm not looking for a flame war either, except as far as it's in good fun.)

I own Glock, HK, and 1911. I've heard of them all breaking. I used to think that Glocks were least breakable, but now I'm not sure.

I'm serious that my PD is trading in their HK's for Glocks out of concern over HK malfunctions. And the FBI already traded in their 1911's for Glocks. I figured that these people spent more time researching the pros and cons than I did, so I just followed their lead.

But Glocks break, I'm proof. AK47 all the way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]

HK-man: My local PD currently carries HK's. But the HK's have repeatedly gone "click" when they should have gone "bang", so the PD has put in order for Glocks to replace all the HK's.

Hmmm, sounds like they should load their guns if they want them to go bang.  Seriously speaking, I have never heard of this before with HK's.  I assume you are speaking of the USP's.  I can attest that mine has performed reliably.  I'm really not sure whether that PD got a bad lot, or they failed to maintain them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know how well the police HK's were maintained. They're full-size USP's in .40 cal. I've never heard any other stories of HK's going wrong.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#35]
According to your posts, you own a Glock?, and a ruger?, and they both broke cause your SO "Powerful" and because of this an AK-47 is the only gun "good" enough for you?

In my opinion, you should take your cheap ass off this Forum, cause I don't thinks its fair for you to buy cheap weapons, shoot an unheard of number of rounds (most likely Wolf) in the matter of a few months, brag about how strong you are, and then claim AK-47's on an AR-15 website.

Fuckin Clown
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Dear F. Clown,

I like AR15, but my friends who went to war ditched theirs and grabbed the first AK's they could. Do you know better?

Of Glock, Ruger, HK-USP, 1911, AK47, and AR15, which do you approve?

I was joking about being powerful.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#37]
So this is going to turn into an AR vs. AK battle.

BTW, who were these "Friends"?

So they ditched their M16's and grabbed an AK while in battle?

Their officer was OK with that?
They ditched the weapon that they were trained on in the middle of battle?
They ditched the weapon that had crates upon crates of ammo coming in as supplies?

Sounds like your friends are dumbasses.

And no, I don't have any combat experience, but I have common sense!

I approve of HK, 1911, AR, AND AK.

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Glock model #'s hard to keep track of, they're all here:

Not if you know your Glock's well... and love them dearly.

17 - Full Size 9mm
17L - Competiotion Long Slide 9mm
18 - Select Fire Full Size 9mm
19/19C - Compact 9mm
20/20C - FS 10mm
21/21C - FS .45
22 - FS .40
23 - C .40
24 - Competition Long Slide .40
25 - C .380
26 - Subcompact 9mm
27 - SC .40
28 - SC .380
29 - SC 10mm
30 - SC .45
31 - FS .357 Sig
32 - C .357 Sig
33 - SC .357 Sig
34 - Tac/Prac 9mm
35 - Tac/Prac .40
36 - Single Stack .45

Now do I get a cookie?

I think the 29/30 are more in the same size as compacts although Glock lists them at Subcompacts. The 25 is not available in the US and the 28 is only sold to Military and Law Enforcement. And of course my favorite Glock... the G18.... Oh I wish I could have one of those.

Then there are a couple of models of Practice "Red Guns" and a couple Simunition models based on the G17.

Kind of interesting considering Glock was the underdog to make a Pistol in a military contract. They had never made one before and were an entrenching tool manufacturer.

Class dismissed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I like AR15, but my friends who went to war ditched theirs and grabbed the first AK's they could. Do you know better?

My dad was in Vietnam, and he liked to carry an AK47 instead of his M16. Had plenty of ammo, and other people were doing it as well... Seemed to be the trend.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Just because it goes "click" instead of "bang" does not mean its is a flaw with HK. Could be a faulty primer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#41]
MurderSHO45, My dumbass friends, not blessed with your degree of common sense, were soldiers in the Vietnam war, where mud caused their AR15's to malfunction.

The soldiers wanted to survive. The officers wanted to survive. The officers encouraged the soldiers to use whatever rifle worked best. U.S. soldiers traded and stole to get AK47's and other foreign-made rifles that functioned reliably. I saw a photo of my friend with a bunch of other U.S. soldiers, it shows not a single AR15, everyone had picked something else.

I'll ask my friends where they got their ammo, and I'll let them know that the guy with the common sense thinks they are dumbasses.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Just because it goes "click" instead of "bang" does not mean its is a flaw with HK. Could be a faulty primer.

I agree, it could be bad ammo, or poor maintenance. I'm going to dust off my USP and give it another chance. Never could master that double-action, though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Primer problem.

I have 4 USPs (2 fullsize, 2 compacts)...never a malfunction.  Never.

I have 1 Glock.  Also never a malfunction.

I have never had a gun go "click" instead of "bang".  Your local PD either got a bad batch of ammo, or they are using reloads with hard primers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I have never had problems with HK or Glock (but I am not a heavy handgun shooter either). I just prefer HK. I do recommend Glocks to first time shooters since they are so simple to use and disassemble, but most people don't believe in the human safety of not putting your finger on the trigger unless you plan to shoot it.

As for the double-action on the HK-- leave the hammer back when you chamber the round... problem solved. You know they have a new "border patrol" trigger mod for a light full double-action-only trigger, with various spring tensions depending on how hard you want the pull to be... kinda cool.

At least if it goes "CLICK" with an HK, you can pull the trigger again to see if it will fire the round... unlike Glocks. (but the ideal case would be to eject the round, if you can)
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I carry with a chambered round, so if I leave the hammer back on USP, I'd have to use the safety. I'm not coordinated enough to use a safety; if I was, I'd probably carry 1911 (awesome trigger).

But seeing as I've managed to carry Glock without ever putting my finger on the trigger at wrong time, I sometimes wonder, why not carry 1911 or single-action-USP with safety off? People say 'dont to it', but I don't understand why this would be any more dangerous than carrying Glock.

I'm definitely reconsidering USP. I wouldn't be surprised if my PD has gunk clogging their firing-pin chambers, or bad ammo. 1,200 USP's are going to be destroyed, sad.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Never missed a beat or a bang with my USP. sounds like maintenance, or ammo to me. Thats the only pistolo I gots at the moment, but the broken Ruger is not a surprise to me, swore'em off a long time ago.

Miss my Sig 220, and sometimes the Glock 23 too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll admit that with my first USP, a USP40 I had a problem with it not firing.  There were very light primer strikes but no bang.  This was easily fixed by cleaning the gun.  Mechanical devices are funny that way.  Clean your guns like your life depends on them.  I garantee a majority of officers dont clean their guns properly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been watching this thread with some interest.  I think it's amusing that a broken Glock is so uncommon that it is news, but the naysayers still speak-out against them.  Think about it, a troublesome, for example, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Ruger semi-auto, a 1911, etc. wouldn't be worth posting a new topic about.z
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm definitely reconsidering USP. I wouldn't be surprised if my PD has gunk clogging their firing-pin chambers, or bad ammo. 1,200 USP's are going to be destroyed, sad.

<Flame Suit>
I bet the crimals are jumping for joy knowing that their local PD is going to use an inferior product and destroy their HKs!
</Flame Suit>

Just kidding....

Seriously though-- as long as you take care of your guns, checking for wear, cleaning them often (including totally stripped), then there should be no problems if you have a decent gun to start with (no cheap-os)-- even with Rugers. Its just like doing preventative/routine maintenence on your vehicles. All vehicles, including Lamborghinis and Ferraris, will eventually have something go wrong-- depends on how you use/treat it, maintain it, and when the parts decide to fail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
When you are all done with your repair please
post a response on how good they treated you

Tyra's back!

With a brand new frame and her original slide/barrel.

Round-trip to Glock and back took only 7 days. Shipping to Glock cost me $50.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top