Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/3/2002 12:28:35 PM EDT
I know there is quite a variety of tastes among the membership here, but one commonality brought us all to this site in the first place: our collective love for AR15 weapon system. My question is borne of sheer curiosity as to the consensus here at AR15.com: If you HAD to choose one AR from the following two varieties (these two are topic specific for the purpose of this scenario), which one would it be, and why: 1) AR15 A2, fixed carry handle with A1 sights, 20" gov't profile bbl, and A2 stock and pistol grip; or 2) AR15 A2 carbine with A2 sights, 16" lightweight bbl, two position telestock and A2 pistol grip...both have bayonet lugs BTW.
Thanks in advance to those who take the time to respond. Again, I'm just curious, and I tried to incorporate different, yet subjectively desirable features into each example, so if you do respond, please stick to one of the two examples in this post, thanks.

Cloak-
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:33:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:38:36 PM EDT
No. 2

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:43:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:59:58 PM EDT
#2. Gotta love the tele-stock and A2 sights.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:05:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:12:37 PM EDT

#2. Tele-stock and compactness.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:23:58 PM EDT
Number 2. Followed closely by Number 2 again. One word. Portability.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:24:42 PM EDT
Thanks for the responses so far, guys... keep 'em coming. FALARAK, that "Ideal Rifle" article makes a great case for choosing a carbine, doesn't it? For those who pick the 20" rifle, feel free to go into your personal reasons why you chose it. Thanks again!

Cloak-
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:58:45 PM EDT
Sorry, but your question is pretty pointless.

Why are we limited to just those 2 configurations? ARs aren't even very commonly found configured like that.

If I go to Baskin & Robbins, do you think I'm going to limit my choices to just chocolate and vanilla?

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2002 2:14:09 PM EDT by cloak-n-carbine]

Originally Posted By Boomer:
Sorry, but your question is pretty pointless.

Why are we limited to just those 2 configurations? ARs aren't even very commonly found configured like that.

If I go to Baskin & Robbins, do you think I'm going to limit my choices to just chocolate and vanilla?

Then don't waste your time typing a response, fuck face.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:30:46 PM EDT
#1, just call me old fashion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:00:53 PM EDT
Oh, aren't you a clever one! Think that reply up all by your wittle ol' self?

Just to humor you, though, exactly what scenario is it where we are limited to just one of those two uncommon configurations?

And how about twist rates? Flash suppression? Handguards?

Those are features that affect performance, too. As you can see, this "scenario" of yours becomes even more absurd.

And what is this to prove, anyhow?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:03:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

cuz I carried a M16a1.........worked for me
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:05:45 PM EDT
Relax Boomer, let the man ask his question.

It's innocent enough.

BTW I choose #2!

CranialCrusader
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:18:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CranialCrusader:

That's cool. I guess I just have a hard time understanding how anyone could consider hampering a full size AR-15A2 with A1 sights as being "subjectively desireable".

The A2 sights should be on the full size AR where they can be best taken advantage of, and the A1 sights on the carbine where long range accuracy and effectiveness aren't as much of a concern.

Fair enough, though. Assuming I don't get response as polite as his last, I'll go ahead and give it a rest and let the new kid ask his question as he sees fit. Even if it does lead to some totally pointless conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2002 4:52:15 PM EDT by cloak-n-carbine]

Originally Posted By Boomer:

Originally Posted By CranialCrusader:

That's cool. I guess I just have a hard time understanding how anyone could consider hampering a full size AR-15A2 with A1 sights as being "subjectively desireable".

The A2 sights should be on the full size AR where they can be best taken advantage of, and the A1 sights on the carbine where long range accuracy and effectiveness aren't as much of a concern.

Fair enough, though. Assuming I don't get response as polite as his last, I'll go ahead and give it a rest and let the new kid ask his question as he sees fit. Even if it does lead to some totally pointless conclusion.

First of all, "pointless", according to whom...YOU??? You don't count. If it's so pointless, why do you bother posting your insignificant opinion??? Just to stir the shit??? Are you that lonely and/or bored? You don't even know me, who I am, what I do, etc., so save the patronizing, "let the new kid ask his question..." bit, you don't impress me, nor does your post count. Is that why you choose to call me "the new kid"? You're pathetic. It's not up to you, or anyone else to "let" me, or anyone else for that matter, ask or post about whatever topic they choose. So, in closing, "BOOMER", you're showing yourself to be nothing more than a dick-head keyboard commando just trying to give a dick-head opinion to stir the shit (BTW: Mission accomplished...dick head). It's real easy to be a tough guy from behind keyboard, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:00:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cloak-n-carbine:
If you HAD to choose one AR from the following two varieties (these two are topic specific for the purpose of this scenario), which one would it be, and why: 1) AR15 A2, fixed carry handle with A1 sights, 20" gov't profile bbl, and A2 stock and pistol grip; or 2) AR15 A2 carbine with A2 sights, 16" lightweight bbl, two position telestock and A2 pistol grip...both have bayonet lugs BTW.
Cloak-

Make mine two scoops of vanilla - 2

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:14:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cloak-n-carbine:
It's real easy to be a tough guy from behind keyboard, isn't it?

Given your mindless, vulgar rant, I gather we are hearing this from an expert on the subject. And you wonder why I refered to you as a kid. Thanks for reaffirming and lending credence to my my suspicions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:20:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:27:29 PM EDT
I've never understood how a simple question can turn into a fight like this. In any case I'm going with the number one config.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:28:26 PM EDT
2. Incidently that's what I have.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2002 6:01:28 PM EDT by gravitynoodle]

Originally Posted By Thunderbolt:
I would pick number 2, because I like carbine
sized rifles, I like a light short handy rifle
for general use, easier to carry in the field,
compact, fast handling, adjustable stock, easier to store in small space, or use for
home defense in confined spaces, plus I do
most of my shooting within 200 yards.

Ditto. I have a pair of BM shorties, and trying to convince myself that #3 should be a 20". But the shorties are my favorite primarily for their easy of handling and balance.

Cloak, I had the same prob on another thread that you are having w/ Boomer. Some A-hole like him thought it was more fun to rant about how stupid the thread was rather than just shutting the F up and moving on. Put him on ignore.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:05:55 PM EDT
#2...see sig...

Cheers,

Steve
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:12:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gravitynoodle:

Ditto. I have a pair of BM shorties, and trying to convince myself that #3 should be a 20". But the shorties are my favorite primarily for their easy of handling and balance.

Cloak, I had the same prob on another thread that you are having w/ Boomer. Some A-hole like him thought it was more fun to rant about how stupid the thread was rather than just shutting the F up and moving on. Put him on ignore.

Gravitynoodle, thanks for the sentiment and the response. I, too, am partial to carbines...hence the moniker. Take care,

Cloak-
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:26:58 PM EDT
Number two. Go lightweight, most engagements take place close or medium range where a 16" bbl will easily suffice. The lightweight bbl and stock let you carry more ammo and have more accessories on your AR15. Light all the way.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:50:51 PM EDT
To make this EASY...I'd host a poll and reask the question....

Otherwise

2!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:28:44 AM EDT
#2 because I have a 20" If I didn't I would still get 2. I was wondering isn't the telestock a 3 position?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:46:00 AM EDT
# 2, Compact at home and in the field. easy to store in vehicle to. Unfortunately i only have a post ban. It is configured with 16" flatop and fixed stock.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:48:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By edpmedic:
#2 because I have a 20" If I didn't I would still get 2. I was wondering isn't the telestock a 3 position?

Telestocks, over the years, have come in 2, 3, 4, and 6 position models.

Todays popular M4 telestock is a 6 position. Colt's popular CAR telestock was a 2, then later, 3 poition.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:13:07 PM EDT
#2, I like the overall usefulness and handling of a carbine.

You should make this a poll
Top Top