Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 8:03:35 AM EDT
Did the VC use SKS's in Vietnam you always see the Ak's but someone was talking about the sks seems like old technology? why have a sks if you can have a AK?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
'cause SKS's are cool I love mine. But Ilove my AK as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
1911greg,

In the early part of the War, Type 56 rifles (Chinese version of the AK-47) weren't available in the South.  Many NVA units, in fact, were equipped with SKS rifles at the beginning of American involvement.

Logistics was the problem for their fielding.  The Ho Chi Minh Trail wasn't established as well as it was during the later war years.  In fact, until around 1965 or 66, you'd still find MAT-49's and even stuff captured from US forces in Korea in the South with VC units and infrastructure.

My timeline may slightly be off, but by and large, the SKS rifle served the VC well from 1964 until 1970.  Main Force Units received AK's around 1966 or 67.  Then the Soviets started shipping stuff into the country.  This also tied in with the falling out between Vietnam and China.

Shelby Stanton has written several great books about arms and the Vietnam War.  One of my favorites is "Vietnam: Order of Battle."  It shows all units (down to battalion level) that served in Vietnam, and when.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Its amazing how inexpensive "low tech" weapons can do so well in combat, even thought they aren't the highest technology.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Why own an SKS??

Cause they're cheap (used to be anyway) and fun to blaze away with at the range. AR's are more fun though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top