Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/2/2002 5:31:14 PM EDT
Here's my scenario:

I have a flattop with a fixed front sight. I also have a removable A3 carry handle and an A2 scope mount.

I want to mount my Simmon's AETEC scope. I'd like to keep the overall "tallness" of the rifle to a minimum.

Should I mount the scope on the carry handle and be done with it? Or should I attach a low profile flip up rear sight and a detachable scope mount. Will it clear the front sight? I feel since I have a flattop, I should take advantage of that, though the fixed front hampers that some...

Assume I'll be keeping the fixed barrel.

Any advice? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:39:45 PM EDT
Take advantage of your flattop and mount the scope to it instead of your carryhandle.

Not only will your accuracy improve, but the gun won't stand 2 feet tall.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:25:47 PM EDT
What I did was get an Armalite 1 piece mount which includes its own scope rings. This mount is designed to put the center of the scope lenses just above your fixed front sight.

You may see a bit of a shadow thru your scope but it doesnt interfere with sighting.

After I mounted the scope I found I was already on the paper at 100 yds. A few rounds later I was fully sighted in.

I have had excellent results removing and replacing this unit with no noticable loss of accuracy.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:36:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 3:24:13 PM EDT
Thanks everyone...I'm looking up the Armalite mount now. Salute!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 3:24:21 PM EDT
Stick your scope in the one-piece mount (i.e. Armalite mount), Mount the one-piece/scope to a Swan Sleeve and the Swan Sleeve to the AR flattop.

If your scope fails, or in a situation where iron sights are preferred: remove the one-piece mount and scope and flip up the spring loaded rear sight on the Swan sleeve and your back in business.
I have found this to bring the scope to optimum height.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:16:03 PM EDT
Further question:

What size scope can be used with the Armalite? 40mm, 50mm?

Also, where do I find one?

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:05:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By entropy:
Further question:

What size scope can be used with the Armalite? 40mm, 50mm?

Also, where do I find one?

www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/mounts_rings.htm

they come in 1" and 30mm tube sizes.

I mounted a 56mm on one to a 16" flattop for kicks. The 40mm and 50mm will clear. When you have huge optics hanging a foot off the receiver it looks ridiculous.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:17:34 PM EDT
What's the range on that flip-up sight on the Swan sleeve? I've seen some on Bushmaster's site (ARMS#40) that have a 250-300 and a 500-600 with a horiz. line for leading...

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms40.asp
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:19:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boomholzer:
Stick your scope in the one-piece mount (i.e. Armalite mount), Mount the one-piece/scope to a Swan Sleeve and the Swan Sleeve to the AR flattop.

If your scope fails, or in a situation where iron sights are preferred: remove the one-piece mount and scope and flip up the spring loaded rear sight on the Swan sleeve and your back in business.

Doesn't the front sight create a blur in the crosshairs? Is it annoying? Etc. etc...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2002 6:08:40 PM EDT by Boomholzer]

Originally Posted By Hokie:

Originally Posted By Boomholzer:

Doesn't the front sight create a blur in the crosshairs? Is it annoying? Etc. etc...

???
Is better than putting one-piece optic mount directly to flattop. It raises one-piece mount off receiver a bit.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms38s%2Dex.asp
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:15:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:
What's the range on that flip-up sight on the Swan sleeve? I've seen some on Bushmaster's site (ARMS#40) that have a 250-300 and a 500-600 with a horiz. line for leading...

Im not sure. Mine is zero'ed at 300m and I never maxed it. It is probably safe to assume it is simular to A2 rear.

this place is cheaper:
www.botachtactical.com/ar38swanslee.html

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:34:29 PM EDT
excellent info, thanks Boomholzer!
Top Top