Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
my most awkward time carrying concealed was a two weeks after having knee surgery. I am in best buy when it happens, I crutch my way to the rest room and then have figure out how to go with out the stalls next to me seeing my gun. very awkward, but I pulled through and took care of business.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a Heckler & Koch USP Compact in 40 caliber (the one in my sig pic). I use a Galco Concealable holster. Ammo is Federal Hydra-Shok 155 grain JHP. I also carry a second magazine of Hydra-Shoks in a Galco Concealable magazine pouch.

Edited to say:

I recently added a Galco Cop belt to my rig.  I love Galco products.  Excellent quality and American made(by hand).

Why?  Because it is an awesome gun that is absolutely reliable.  It also fits my hands better then any other gun I've tried.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I second the motion on choice of firearm. The USP .40 compact works best for me. It rides in a Fobus belt slide holster at the moment, but I am looking into some leather, just gotta scratch up some funds.

The 155 Hydrashoks shoot great, and I keep an extra mag on the weak side, also in a Fobus holder.

This gun just feels right in my hand, and it goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a SIG P229 in .40, all of the time. Why? Because they make me.

Seriously, I have no complaints with it at all. The SIG shoots great.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Kimber Ultra CDP with 230 gr Hydra Shoks

Why?  Because I can...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have several I cycle through depending on the situation, they are in no particular order:
1. An NAA Guardian .32 that I carry almost always.
2. A Makarov that is always in a planner holster that I keep handy, especially in the car.
3.  An HK USP 40 that is also my duty pistol for the Sheriff's Office.
4.  A Keltec P-32 that I sometimes carry when I'm wearing shorts and just sitting on the patio.  Even though it hasn't given me any problems, the history of the model prevents me from really trusting it to function for more than the first shot.
5.  An NAA minirevolver in .22lr that I sometimes carry as a 3rd gun.
6.  A Springfield 1911A1 milspec.  The factory issue trigger is gritty and heavy, so it tends to get passed over in favor of the HK.
7. A Beretta 92FS.  This  is strictly a wintertime gun, as its thickness is too much of a pain to conceal under light clothing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a very bad lower back injury, so weight is an important consideration.

In my LEO days my off-duty weapon was a Commander (alloy frame) and later a Light Weight Officers ACP.

After I retired and was Glocked, my primary carry piece has been the G30.

When the back is bothering me more, the G23 is a little thinner and a little lighter.

When the back is really bad, the G36 is even thinner and lighter.

All are caried in Sidearmor IWB holsters.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Glock 36 in a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster.

I am thinging about getting a sidearmor IWB, but right now I like the Galco.

It is light, concealable, yet surprisingly controllable for such a small pistol in .45ACP.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Here in NY where the CCW laws depend on the county you reside in (and of course all bets are off in Westchester county and NYC), I choose the glock 26. I load it with the federal Hydra shocks and rest comfortably knowing that within the distances that a self defence situation might occur, I am certain that it will not be my weapon and its projectile that fail to resolve an issue.

Sorry about the long (possibly run on) sentence.

Regarding the way in which I carry: Well I have a pancake from Uncle Mikes that is the leather type, and the ever popular ankle holster from Blackhawk. Depending on my costume for the day I switch back and forth.

Oh and while we are talking CCW's. Lets not over look a real option. My Baretta 21A. Yes it is .22cal. No, it is not a hand cannon. However, don't kid yourself about the usefulness of a .22cal hollow point at say 10 feet, which is statistically the outerlimit of your self defense situation. Most cops will agree that the, VERY EASILY concealed .22, is one of the most feared personal weapons.

I guess what I am saying is, flexibility in your weapon, calibre and carry options are actually your best defense.

But then who am I to say.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a SW CS9 in a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB holster.  This combination disappears on me.  My HK USPc .357SIG is just too big unless I am wearing a jacket.  The 9mm is on the low end but I am very proficient with it.  I feel more confidant with a 9mm that is easily handled under stress than a larger caliber which I can't shoot as well.  

more info on my coice:
http://www.maoutdoors.com/guns

nashgill
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Kimber Custom Classic Stainless Full Size 1911A1.  It is reliable, concealable enough, a .45, and I can hit what I aim at.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I still carry the Springfield Armory 1911 .45 that I have had for the past 12 years in a Don Hume Inside the waist holster.

I hven't yet found another handgun that fits or feels better so I'm sticking with it.

Aint havin a CCW great?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Walther P-99 in .40.....because I love this pistol!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Sig P229 in .40 S&W. Carried in either a Mitch Rosen 5JR (belt holster) or a Blade-Tech IWB. Ammo is Federal EFMJ. I chose the P229 for a couple of reasons:
1) I have own/have owned several Sigs and this was the best comprimise between size/concealability, accuracy, and the "how it feels in your hand" factor...

2) I own a P228 in 9mm and like it very much, but I wanted to go to the bigger .40 caliber. I know shot placement is way more important than bullet caliber/weight, but, I figure if you are only going to have ten rounds in the magazine (I refuse to pay the obscene prices demanded for factory pre-ban hi-cap mags...especially for just two more rounds), I might as well have the biggest rounds possible.......
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Kel-Tec 9mm.  It's the only Pistol I own.  Except for my 22.  I do keep my SUB-2000 in back of my jeep in my tool box for really bad times.  The Kel-Tec pistol with the clip on the side is the way to go.  Aways have with me no matter what I'm wearing.  I think have 2 or 3 different kinds of guns will give you problems when you have to shoot for real.
Thanks
BJS
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]
AZ heat is a big consideration.

When I can get away with a belt/holster (mostly Fall thru Spring) tucked under a loose polo shirt, I wear a Glock 27 in 40cal. No spare mags.

In the summer, or in business attire, I carry a Kahr MK40 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.. goes in and out of the pocket quickly and with discretion. Again, no spare mags (only 6 shots, so I'll have to aim carefully, I guess).

Both guns are loaded with Hydrashok 155's.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Also because I like that I can carry it "cocked and locked" unlike my Colt 1991A1.

Why can't you carry your 1991A1 cocked and locked?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 I think have 2 or 3 different kinds of guns will give you problems when you have to shoot for real.
Thanks
BJS

good point, a very wise man once said "beware of the man with only one gun, chances are he knows how to shoot it"-jeff cooper.
the point is, when shit goes down, you will revert to muscle memory.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#20]
HMC - I'm a bit confused, do you carry your USP cocked and locked? If so it's my understanding that when doing so you will actually have 1 less safety engaged than you would with your 1991A1.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]
HMC - Ahh I see, you actually carry your weapon in Condition 2; hammer lowered over a live chamber. That’s perfectly safe with the USP. Cocked and locked (Condition 1) would be hammer cocked over a live chamber with the thumb safety engaged.  I was just confused as to the apparent reluctantcy to carry your 1911 in Condition 1 but at the same time willingness to do so with you USP. No problem, no further misunderstanding. You are absolutely correct personal comfort and safety with ones sidearm is very important.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Duty: Para LDA 14 Why? duh
     Glock 27 (ankle) because(*&^ happens
     Beretta 1201fp (in trunk) handguns are for fighting your way back to the long gun you never should have put down in the first place.

Off duty: Para when I can hide it. (galco)
         Glock when it's hard to hide. (Ky-Tac
         Nyte-Pack)
         The Beretta goes where I do.
All are qualified at the office.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally carried Glock 19 w/15rd...didn't feel safe with one in chamber.  Now, I carry my Sig 226 40cal. loaded w/corbon ammo in pancake holster.  Although it's a little larger, I feel more secure.  Backup is HK P7M8 9mm in ankle.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top