Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2002 3:34:46 PM EDT
summers a'comin and i "need" another carry gun.  leaning towards a S&W 642 (38)or a Taurus CIA (357mag)  i like the concealed hammer, dont much care for bobbed ones though.  these two are about the same price (taurus is a bit cheaper and its 357 mag)

anyone?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#1]
no opinions at all?  (the taurus is the model 650 btw)

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I try to stick to S&W over Taurus...although Taurus makes some fine revolvers.  The S&W guns definitely have a better resell value.

Also, I prefer the older Smiths that at least have the recessed cylinder.  There were several models made that were .357 with concealed hammers...can't think of the model numbers off the top of my head though, as I prefer exposed hammers (bobbed if a snub-nose gun).

If you don't have much experience with shooting short .357mag guns, I definitely suggest getting a heavier gun for less recoil and more control.  The "airweights" can be mules to pop off!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I would choose the 357, I like the option of having multible caliber choices. 38special, 38+p, 38+p+ & 357. Wide variety there and should your wife or significant other choose to learn to shoot you can start them out with 38 wad-cutters and work them up to full-power loads.

That is the primary reason, secondary is why put money in S&W pocket, given they abandoned gun owners. I own S&W revolvers but all are more than 20 years old.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with a Smith Centennial, they come in 357. As for money in S&W's pocket, they are under have had some changes, not as much as we would like, but don't let the other side convince to can all companies that try to stay afloat. We might one day have none left. Yes, Smith was a bad boy. We worked hard to discipline them, now let's not throw him out with the water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top