Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2002 12:59:31 PM EDT
I need to make a choice.
I want to buy a preban at and I can only afford one.

1700.00 will get me a 1970 Colt. Like new.
1100.00 will get me a Olympic arms with a new upper.

I want a shooter.

but if I get the colt and I buy a new m4 top end to stick on it I won’t kill it’s original barrel but if I later go to sell the “original rifle “ how much will it damage the collectors value?
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 1:11:48 PM EDT
If you want a shooter get the Oly. You'd have enough money left over to buy another post ban, almost.

Swapping uppers on the Colt shouldn't effect collector value. But, collector value is very very hard to predict.

Plus $1700 seems a bit high for the pre-ban Colt, but I will confess I haven't priced them lately.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 1:13:51 PM EDT
First... you have to consider your legal position. Since Olympic typically cannot "prove" the rifle shipped before Sept. 94, then from a "legal" approach the Colt is always the safer bet, since it is a named "assault weapon"

If you dont care much about this issue, then the Olympic is a better bet for a shooter. It is closer to the Mil-spec of the M16. The Colt will be a large hole lower, and will require a sloppy conversion pin.

I think $1700 is too much to pay for a Colt SP-1 anyway.... unless it is a pristine Carbine model. You can find standard 20" SP-1's for $1000 if you look.

As far as collector value, there are so many of these out there, I would not worry about it. Shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 1:30:25 PM EDT
I always recommend preban Colts over the other brands, however, the Colt rifle is greatly overpriced. On the other hand, depending on configuration, the Oly rifle is a little on the high side too. I am not at all impressed with the quality of Oly products produced in the late 80's and early 90's prior to the ban. Extra mags and assesseries and the original box can add quite a bit to the price. Might want to wait for a better deal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:33:37 PM EDT
I would take the preban Olympic for that price as a complete rifle, and if you choose the Colt please email where the OLY is I'll buy it...
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 7:31:11 PM EDT
Buy the Oly. It's the a good shooter. Oly prebans at least the SGW stop sign lowers are of good quality. They are forged and if you like you can have Oly remanufacture your lower and it still retains it Preban status. Try that with a Colt.

Max
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:36:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2002 10:37:15 PM EDT by budam]

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
First... you have to consider your legal position. Since Olympic typically cannot "prove" the rifle shipped before Sept. 94, then from a "legal" approach the Colt is always the safer bet, since it is a named "assault weapon"

IMHO, this makes no sense. For you to be found guilty of having a postban that you thought was a preban, the authorities have to be able to prove it was not a preban that was not a full complete firearm.

In Olympic's case, that cannot be done. You are actually safer as the records no longer exist for use by whoever...

and for the money, the Olympic is hands down the winner. It will be a tighter gun and better shooter, as a general rule.

mark
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:05:40 AM EDT
I wouldn't buy either at that price. For that money you should be able to get a pre-ban H-bar.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:14:17 AM EDT
I've seen new and slightly-used pre-ban Colts for around $1600-$2000 at local gun shows, depending on the configuration. (of course, I also saw an idiot dealer pulling a scam selling a post-ban Colt match target labeled "pre-ban $2000", so make sure its a legitimate pre-ban...)

My Colt has barely been shot, and I have been thinking of selling it to buy a couple post-bans...

I have had a couple people interested in buying mine, but I am waiting for the info on the ZM-group-purchase... (www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=99234) if that flops, who knows...
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:40:10 AM EDT
I bought an Olympic preban and I'm happy with mine. I of course yanked the upper off and stuck a brand new Bushy upper on it immediately.

Not crazy about Olympic uppers, but my lower is great. As a matter of fact the finish on it is pretty decent.

One thing you may want to check on when looking for one is whether or not the lower is cast or forged. If you go to Olympics website they have an area on there that shows you how to tell the difference.

Anyway, good luck either way.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:48:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By budam:

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

IMHO, this makes no sense. For you to be found guilty of having a postban that you thought was a preban, the authorities have to be able to prove it was not a preban that was not a full complete firearm.

In Olympic's case, that cannot be done. You are actually safer as the records no longer exist for use by whoever...

and for the money, the Olympic is hands down the winner. It will be a tighter gun and better shooter, as a general rule.

mark

I'm not sure this is true. I have read a lot of people who have said the law puts the proof requirement on the gun owner - meaning it is the owner's responsibility to prove that it was in complete rifle form prior to the ban in order for it to be classified pre-ban. If a stripped lower manufactured prior to the ban was not assembled into a rifle prior to the ban, then when the ban took effect, the lower becomes a post ban. I am by no means an expert on this subject, just some info. I have gleaned from others on this site. I would go confirm it in the legal section with someone wiser than me. Just be careful. It's a steep penalty to be on the wrong side of this law.
Top Top