Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2002 6:29:23 PM EDT
I am toying with the idea of getting an Ar and have a few questioned for you well-seasoned veterns.
1. How hard is it to assemble one from a kit on a stripped lower? I am familiar with firearms-closest to this would be an m1-carbine, and I tie flies for fishing, so pretty good wwith my hands.

2.Go with a kit or complete gun?

3. 9mm or .223? I see a nice oly 9mm for $750 in the EE, but wonder about getting another rifle in pistol caliber (I consider the .30 carbine a pistol cal) I also realize I could get another upper for .223, but want to keep budget lower for now.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've learned a lot on this site.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:47:46 PM EDT
I have never purchased a kit, but I have completely stripped my ARs and don't see why it would be difficult. Most kits come with an assembled upper - which is what requires more expertise. Since you are trying to save some money I would go that route. I also recommend .223 for your first - you can always buy a 9mm upper later on.

Welcome to AR15.com and good luck. If you have any questions on assembly or troubleshooting, this is where the answers are.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:07:29 PM EDT
I usually will recomend that you buy a complete rifel to start with. It is a good way to learn the ins and outs of the AR15/M16 style rifles. The main reason for going with a complete rifle first is, if you have a problem you can send it back to the manufacturer. If you assemble it, then the only one to yell at if there is a problem is yourself .
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:36:52 PM EDT
Welcome to AR15.com! I agree with advice of assembled rifle to begin. There are many to choose from (Bushmaster, DPMS, etc..) in good price ranges.

Best advice I can offer is to read other posts on this forum, ask questions, and determine what model/configuration meets your needs. As for learning about the rifle, GI tech manuals are an excellent resource. One of the best is the US Marine Corp Technical Manual (TM 05538C-23), available for under $10.

Once again, Welcome!
Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:55:01 AM EDT
I'm sorry i didn't catch this trickster earlier.

i give him a two star Troll rating.
Top Top