Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2002 3:49:06 PM EDT
This guy has a Desert Eagle 50AE that he wants to sell. It is an older model (Mark VII?) and needs a good cleaning but he doesn't want a lot for it (I'd tell you how much but you would tell me it was hot).

Would the thing be worth having? Are there any problems with these that I should know about?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:54:35 PM EDT
There are only 2 problems with the DE...First the ammo is expensive...second, I don't have one.....
As for what you would do with one, I'd say shoot it.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:02:16 PM EDT
I wouldnt buy it, its probably hot. Actually what you should do is buy it. Then turn around and sell it to me at a huge loss so that I can take care of it properly for you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:06:10 PM EDT
You could star in an action movie with one of those.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:17:11 PM EDT
Dessert Eagles are great guns.
Especially the mark VII which were manufactured in Israel.

However unless you reload stick with either the 357 or 44 as those 50 AE rounds run about a buck a piece factory.

The 50 is a monster to shoot, and the fireball and recoil is second to none, but for the affordability factor I went with a 357 instead of the 50, as I can shoot almost a whole mag of 357 for the price of a single trigger pull of 50AE.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:21:04 PM EDT
I had the Dessert Eagle .44 It was the biggest piece of shit gun I ever got. I couldn't hit anything with it. It stovepiped Failed to extract. The safety loosened up all the time and I had to tighten it. The slide release wouldn't hold the slide back half the time. You'd put the mag in and the slide would go forward. I sent it back to the factory to have the slide release fixed then sold it. The guy that bought it from me sent it back to the factory 2 more times after he got it. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:52:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2002 4:53:24 PM EDT by DarkStar]
Much like Capitalist, I've also got a few horror stories of a .357 DE and Magnum Research... But if you do buy it, look at it as a crew served weapon...

edited 'cause my 'puter still can't type...
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:56:49 PM EDT
The Desert Eagle Is a multi purpose weapon. If you get in a conflict and it jams you can beat your oponient to death with the thing. It weighed something like 5 pounds.Another reason I hated the thing. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:19:53 PM EDT
So the thing is likely a POS, but if I could pick it up cheap it would make a nice paper weight. About what I expected.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:35:13 PM EDT
Yeah, but it's a Bad POS...!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:36:55 PM EDT
A friend of mine let me shoot his Desert Eagle .50AE. It was an interesting experience to say the least. It did however beat the hell out of my right hand. After 3 rounds, I had enough. Even though it kicks like a mule, I hit my target every time. My friend, on the other hand, put every round into the ground. I was laughing my ass off. He reacted to the recoil before pulling the trigger. He paid over a grand for it and can't hit anything.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:42:26 PM EDT
Do you have a boat???? DE's make GREAT anchors!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:44:02 PM EDT
From what I have read only the original Desert Eagles had failure to extract problems.
From what I hear the pistol is Solid these days with respect to function.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 12:04:27 AM EDT
I shot a .44 DE once, and i was surprised at the lack of recoil, compared to a Ruger .44 revolver. That thing kicked like a mule.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:19:26 AM EDT
Oslow,

If you decide against getting it, will you pass my e-mail on to the guy that has it (I'm an IL resident also, so less hassles with dealer to dealer transfers). The DE .50's not a practical gun, but would be a blast to have in my collection.

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:34:26 AM EDT
A couple of years ago I was in the "had to have one of those modes" in regards to a Desert Eagle. When I went to look at them I was very disappointed. The workmanship and finish was very rough to say the least. Over a grand for I think not.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:41:27 AM EDT
AFARR

OK. But the temptation is just too great. I can feel myself being pulled to the impractical side. Oh no, not again!

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:44:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:49:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jbntex:
The 50 is a monster to shoot, and the fireball and recoil is second to none...

I can't really agree with this statement. Given the nature of the DE's action, much of the felt recoil is reduced. If you want serious recoil, revolvers like the Taurus Raging Bull are much harder on the shooter. I could shoot .50 all day in the DE, but the .454C scares the piss out of me every time I shoot it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:26:46 PM EDT
I rented one at an indoor range. First shot the shell casing hit my teeth. the third shoot hit the target holder, fragmented everywhere and knocked the lights out of the cieling.. I definately want to get one down the road!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:51:10 PM EDT
... I own a DE .50AE
Its a great piece of engineering, I load my own rounds to offset costs. the only thing I've ever had problems with is a broken spring once and like CAPITALIST said, I had problems with the fastener in the safety backing out periodically. Locktite red fixed that.

... When I bought mine new the first thing I did was completely deflash the entire pistol and sent it off to have bright chromed (like Hollyweed).

It gets chicks! I love it for effect.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:53:44 PM EDT
I own a Desert Eagle 50AE. I love it.

It's huge. It's loud. It's bright. It's a freight train behind a .50 diameter hunk of lead. First time I shot the cannon it vaporized an eggplant, blew the sawhorse holding the veggie into two halves, hit the wall of the gravel pit and caused a slope failure, which consequently buried the other veggies I had lined up for execution.

It's shape looks menacing, has a basketball size blast and you can feel the recoil in your nutsack. The gun is heavy and the barrel is stationary, neat. It has a huge Hollywood appeal for the scary looks. Aesthetics are a big appeal for this gun.

I agree with EVERYONE that this piece of ordinance has very little practical value. But that's not why we buy these brutes now is it? No. We buy em cause they're fun to shoot. Although some buy the 50, 44 or 440 to hunt with...I guess...whatever.

Most people I hear complaining about the DE, IMHO, don't shoot the gun as it's meant to be shot.

Golden rules of the DE:
1)Use the recommended ammo, it takes a lot of juice to push that slide back.
2)Hold the gun extra firm as the extractor will move the gun *theory of relativity*. Failure to do so results in casings skipping off your face
3)Don't ever brace the gun by the free floating magazine, by doing so you'll jam every time.
4)You'll shoot it right a few times, impress some people, sketch out some people, then eventually gawk at spending 20 bucks for 20 rounds of ammo and then it'll become a novelty gun. Granted, you'll always like having it around. I do. I always smile when I open my safe and see the DE in the corner.

Eh, I guess everyone has their opinion...that's my take on the subject...ciao! I say get one! Then again I'd say that for almost any firearm.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:51:00 PM EDT
I am suprised to hear so many people having problems with the DEs.

I had heard the horror stories that the original guns had some problems.
I bought mine just because its looks are second to none.
I have been thrilled with its performance, workmanship, and reliability. After the first 50 break in rounds, I don't beleive I have ever had a failure to fire, extract, etc. It has gone bang and the action cycled properly for over a thousand rounds that I have put through it.
I personally find the 357 very controllable. I use the DE almost exculsivley for the local bowling pin matches. Really knocks the pins down, and with its long sight plain is dead accurate.
The 50 is a differenent beast. Unless you hold on tight, once the 50 cal round hits the rifling it wants to twist the gun out of your hand. The usual result being, getting beaned right it the face with a huge empty case. I have even heard of people getting their front teeth chipped by cases hitting them right in the mouth.
For what it is worth, the bowling pin matches I attend, there is a woman who shoots a DE 50 cal and she has no problem blasting 5 bowling pins rapid fire off the table at 7 yards. Damn thing sends the pins 20 yards down range.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 3:49:06 AM EDT
hear hear!!! No issues with mine either. In fact, this forum topic has inspired me to go to the range this Saturday...
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:38:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Oslow:
This guy has a Desert Eagle 50AE that he wants to sell. It is an older model (Mark VII?) and needs a good cleaning but he doesn't want a lot for it (I'd tell you how much but you would tell me it was hot).

Would the thing be worth having? Are there any problems with these that I should know about?

Make a gun rocket! If the DE could go full auto and never stop, glue fins and nosecone to the gun and point muzzle down, and when the trigger is pressed maybe the DE will fly up in response to the recoil... dont do this unless you yourself are in a bunker and no one is around for thousands of miles.... and the trigger would have to be set remotely...

DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:00:41 PM EDT
I have a buddy that uses a scoped .44 MAG DE for hog hunting. He takes a lot of hogs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:18:35 PM EDT
I have a desert eagle but mine is a older mark 1, i bought it just last month and paid 650.00 for it! quite high since it was priced at 699.00 with one mag when it was sold new in 84, and since it is that old it was only offered in .357. the plus side is that you can still buy mk v11 barrels and bolt assemblys for yours that can turn it into a 44,or 357 (399.00 for barrel 198.00 for bolt assembly) being mine is a mark 1 i can't step up that cheaply would cost me a bout 900.00 to step up! a new mark x1x is only 1300.00 so .357 is good enough for me. the locking bolt assembly and gas system make it a really good shooter! If its not hot(probably should be around 800.00) maybe less since the mk xixs make it kind of obsolete, but none the less yes youre talking about twenty-twenty five a box 50ae . not that thats high if you can afford that kind of plinking! i can't ... my 410 grn 45/70 (13.50) a box does the same kind of thing to produce, just one at a time! If its not hot get it its a rip!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:56:08 AM EDT
OK now this is a serious question. The bolt is marked .44mag. What is that about? If the .50 and the .44 use the same bolt, why stamp it at all?

And I'm still not saying how much the guy wants for it cause you would all just think I was lying.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:03:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:25:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2002 10:00:53 PM EDT by DocVaquero]
Happiness is.......

I'm with the green sofa guy, HOW MUCH? HOW MUCH?
You've already got me guessing around $200 since you won't say, so it's not like I'll be surprised.

Anyway

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:13:53 AM EDT
Now you have me interested. So what is the going price?

I was offered a NIB Desert Eagle .50 cal for about $917, but could not come up with the cash at the time. Sorta kicking myself for not doing it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:18:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DocVaquero:
Happiness is.......

Is this guy trying to commit suicide? (he looks like hes pointing the gun at his head.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:24:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:
I own a Desert Eagle 50AE. I love it.

It's huge. It's loud. It's bright. It's a freight train behind a .50 diameter hunk of lead. First time I shot the cannon it vaporized an eggplant, blew the sawhorse holding the veggie into two halves, hit the wall of the gravel pit and caused a slope failure, which consequently buried the other veggies I had lined up for execution.

It's shape looks menacing, has a basketball size blast and you can feel the recoil in your nutsack. The gun is heavy and the barrel is stationary, neat. It has a huge Hollywood appeal for the scary looks. Aesthetics are a big appeal for this gun.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ROTFLMFAO!!! That was awesome!!! :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:55:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2002 9:35:11 AM EDT by Scarecrow]

Buy one Mr. Anderson...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:59:53 AM EDT
My brother and I shoot his 50AE sometimes..its not a pleasant experience. The 50AE is a hard kicking caliber.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:08:27 AM EDT
"Your says replica, while mine says Desert Eagle, five - O ".

-Snatch

If you go desert eagle might as well go all the way with .50. It will always be fun to watch people try to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:57:12 AM EDT
The type XIX frames are slight modifications to the .50 type VII. If you have a .357, .41, or .44 type VII you can not easily change calibers. BUT, if you have a .50 type VII I believe all of the options for of the new system, change of caliber and barrel lenths, should be available. Can anybody confirm this?

Dan
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:06:33 PM EDT
Ok, the rest of the story.

The guy wanted three bills and I was going to buy it but my son wanted to check the background on the weapon (I don't know what his problem is, I tried to raise him right but he knew the guy better than I did). So the dude goes and trades the thing for a new paint job on his Suburban.

GEEEEZZZZZ. Kids these days are a pain.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:26:41 PM EDT
$300? If I didn;t know the guy REAL well, that would have raised all sorts of red flags with me.

I had a .357 DE many moons ago. I had problems with it breaking small parts, and they were/maybe still are only available from one source and ain't cheap. I eventually traded it away for a NIB Springfield M1911A1 Defender and a NIB S&W M66. No problems with either of those guns.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:36:47 PM EDT
I've had experience with the DE in both .50AE and .44 Mag. It's an extremely accurate pistol, and very hard-hitting (as well as hard-kicking). I used a 10" barreled scoped .50 to hunt groundhogs one year. I could hit the little guys out to almost 300 yards and when the slug hit, BAM!! Dead groundhog. The hogs were sometimes thrown as far as 20 yards if I hit the lower parts of their bodies. Very satisfying (especially if you had to put down your favorite horse because she broke her leg in a groundhog hole).

Never had any reliability problems. Flinching will become a factor unless you don't mind really hard recoil. You had better have some upper-body strength if you want to shoot it, otherwise you'll be waking up with a nasty headache after being beaned on the domepiece (happened to me).
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:23:02 PM EDT
Buy the damn thing!!!! used de 50ae's go for $800 to $1000, and you say it is cheap, so I am assuming a couple hundred bucks, thats a hell of a deal, jump on it, Ive been looking for a desert eagle 50 cal long and hard, and I cant fimd one for under 8 or $900, If you want to sell it ill buy it!, jason
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:31:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MAHABALI:
Buy the damn thing!!!! used de 50ae's go for $800 to $1000, and you say it is cheap, so I am assuming a couple hundred bucks, thats a hell of a deal, jump on it, Ive been looking for a desert eagle 50 cal long and hard, and I cant fimd one for under 8 or $900, If you want to sell it ill buy it!, jason

It's no "deal" if it turns out to be stolen and you end up with legal problems and bills as a result.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:07:29 AM EDT
Top Top