Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 5:46:28 PM EDT
I've realized that, when I'm shooting for accuracy with iron sights if I don't have the "right" target, I have a very hard time repeating my sight picture and my groups suck.

Now, I've heard of people using standard irons on a carbine and shooting 1-2" groups at 100 yards.  Well, if that's the case call me impressed.  I certainly couldn't match that.

Today I was sighting in my new AO same plane rear apertures on a Colt R6530 and Colt MT6731.  Both rifles have the standard A2 0.07" wide square front sight post.  Zeroing at 50 yards, I was using an Outers 25 yard slow fire pistol target (approx. 5.45" black circle with 1.65" orange center).  The best I could manage were approximately 3+" five shot groups.  Of course, I was using SA M1A3 -- though I don't know how much of a difference that made.  Needless to say, I was frustrated.

Then I looked at a target from three years ago.  I shot it at 50 yards with my MT6731 (standard A2 rear aperture).  It was an NRA 50 foot pistol target with a solid 3" black dot center.  The group was a 1.75" nine shot group that was almost dead center (all black).

Seems (at least for me) that when I'm shooting for accuracy with irons, there is a balance between the target being too big/small against the front sight post.  Admittedly, my iron sight shooting needs some work.

Also, when I've been shooting in the afternoons at my range, the sun is always behind me (downrange is east).  This puts a little glare on the front sight post so it is never really crystal clear.  Wonder if that is an issue....

Last year I worked my tail off at making myself a semi-competent pistol shot.  Guess this year I need to start working on my rifle shooting.

Any suggestions, thoughts or experience that might point me in the right direction?  Are there any dry fire exercises that would help me improve with irons?

And, when people are bragging about their 1-2" groups at 100 yards with irons, what are they using?  Standard A2 sights against an IDPA target (which must be incredibily difficult get consistent sight pictures on) or smaller, specialty targets with NM iron sights?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the NRA highpower targets available at nationaltarget.com  This is from 200 and 300 though, don't bother with 100 at all.  With these, the black is the same size from both distances.  Good Shooting!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
i think that is a much easier feat w/ A2 sight radius.  at least for my eyes, the a2 sight radius makes precise shots easier.

i would suggest flat black paint, or sight black to get a clear black image of the front sight assembly.

for me, shiny sights are distracting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm kinda confused.... At first you talk about sighting in and then shooting for accuracy.

For the sight-in I like the 25 meter target with the 1" square grid and a black upside down pistol sight shape in the center. You can see this one and a slew of others at the following link. http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/25-8/appb.htm#figb_1

As far a accuracy, I like just about and of the 100 yard targets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'm presuming that when you sight in you're shooting for accuracy -- at last accurate consistent shots to the same sight picture so you can adjust your point of aim to correspond to the point of impact.

Then I'm also talking about general shooting with iron sights.

I'm confused that you're confused.  

EDIT:  Oh yeah, thanks for the target link.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I like NRA 25 yard pistol targets for iron-sight grouping at 100 yds. At 200, I use a standard 200 yd NRA highpower target. I'd like to use a 100yd-600 yd reduced for 100, but I have the pistol targets. That's with NM AR sights, you might like a little different size for your sights. More important than size is to use a round, black bull.

BTW, I consider 1-2" to be pretty decent shooting at 100 too. But with good loads, good gun and a visible bull, you could do it too. You'd be amazed how an accurate rifle seems to shoot little groups almost in spite of the shooter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I was going to back up and shoot at 25 yard pistol targets from 100 yards but the lunch hour ran out (and then some).

I'll have to start to feed my rifles some better ammo.  The SA stuff hasn't even done as well as the few cases of newly remanufactured Georgia Arms 55 grain FMJ that I had.  With the GA stuff I got a 5/8" three round group at 100 yards with my Leupold and flattop.  'Course, that hasn't been repeated, but....  Groups at 100 yards (with scope) have been around 3-4" with the SA M1A3.

My impression thus far is that the SA battlepacks are purely blasting ammo and nothing remotely related to accuracy should be expected from it.  I was going to confirm my zeroes with Q3131 and Q3131A, but again time ran out on me.

We'll see what happens this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top