Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2002 8:44:57 PM EDT

I bought this 65 round mag at a gunshow this weekend. It looks as though it is two 30 rnd mags hooked together, but it is not a homemade job, it is done very well, there are no weld marks, but there is a seam. the follower functions perfectly. It was only $30 so I bought it, Im just wondering if it is legal?? because it is two mags hooked together????
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't get a picture to come up but if it's the way I think it is it might not be legal. The problem isn't the fact that the two mags are hooked together. That would be fine as long as the both worked in the weapon it was intended for. However if the mags are welded floorplate to feed lips the bottom mad wouldn't work in the gun so that would be bad. Please correct me if I have any of this wrong.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't display an image that's on your computer.  You must find a photo host and link it from there.

If you e-mail it to me, I'll post it for a couple of days for you.

Click the little e-mail icon above this post for my address.

BTW, if it's a legal pre-ban mag, and it still functions correctly in the rifle it was designed for, then there is no problem with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Your last two posts worked, and that's a big ass mag!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
did you buy that one at the gunshow in portland? my brother saw ones there like that...they sounded home made to me, but your look farelly clean, allthough pretty goofy looking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Putting it with a carbine w/collapse stock (or fixed version thereof) makes it really funny looking...
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, it is huge, i havent used it yet, hopefully it works good, but im not counting on it, Two people at the gun show had these, one table had them for $85 but at the table I bought it from it was $30 and it was the only one they had, it's so big it kinda looks ridiclous in my AR
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I did get it in portland, at the rose city gun show at the expo center, its so long that it does look silly, jason
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Was this monstrosity made by a guy suffering from penis envy??????
Man, some people kill me!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it steel?? It looks like a 40 and 30 rounder welded together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
it IS steel, and I think you are right, that it is a 40 and a 30rnd welded together, so is it legal??? there are no markings on the mag, so it would be assumed preban, so if it was welded before sept 1994 it would be legal right??????? I mean there is no way to prove it was welded before that, but unmarked high cap mags are assumed preban correct???
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
so if it was welded before sept 1994 it would be legal right???????

It doesn't matter when it was welded.  So long as both mags are legal pre-bans, then all is legal.

This is just like taking a preban Glock mag and adding a 4 or 5 round extension to it.

You can do whatever you want to preban mags as long as they still function in the weapon they were designed for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
ok I dont know why the cobray is in the 2nd pic, but whatever
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#14]
That mag is ridiculous.

Have to get me one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
i think you should get a magpul for that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:42:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it just me or is the mag in the Cobray backwards or is the mag in the right way and the Cobray is backwards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is it just me or is the mag in the Cobray backwards or is the mag in the right way and the Cobray is backwards.

Ya know, I thought the same thing last night when I saw that pic posted on another thread.

On a side note, the Cobray photo wasn't on this thread last night.  There was an image of a Bushamster 10 round mag compared to this penis-envy mag.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
That is way too funny looking...
If they are steel then it is probably some guy welding USA, Triple K, western, etc mags together for a little profit. If the regular steel mags are so bad, I am interested in the reliablility of this thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
looks like photoshop to me!!  bob cole
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, that mag is backwards in my cobray, I had a few too many beers last night when I posted that, (I didnt even notice I put the mag in backwards!) anyway, that pic is not supposed to be there, here is a close up of the 65 round mag, you can see the seam, I still havent got a chance to use it yet. I live in portland and there is NOWHERE to shoot. thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not know about the Mag, but the break on the end of your gun should be illeage.  TOO DAMN LOUD
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
That would be pretty hard to hold, MAddog.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't matter when it was welded.  So long as both mags are legal pre-bans, then all is legal.

This is just like taking a preban Glock mag and adding a 4 or 5 round extension to it.

You can do whatever you want to preban mags as long as they still function in the weapon they were designed for.

Uh, in this case that would NOT be a legal mag to make "post ban" because, it can be argued, one of the mags has been permanently modified and won't work in the gun it was designed for. The ATF covered extended magazines and defines THIS sort of modification as manufacture of a new magazine.

But lacking other evidence, it sure looks like a NOS pre-ban mag to me!

CJ

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, in this case that would NOT be a legal mag to make "post ban" because, it can be argued, one of the mags has been permanently modified and won't work in the gun it was designed for. The ATF covered extended magazines and defines THIS sort of modification as manufacture of a new magazine.

But lacking other evidence, it sure looks like a NOS pre-ban mag to me!

CJ

It could be argued so, but that argument is for mags modified to fit a different gun that no longer fit the original.

By your reasoning, any mag that is crushed will no longer work in the original gun, thus is illegal.  Now if they were preban mini 14 mags and they were combined to mage one AR-15 mag that would no longer work in a Mini-14, then your argument would hold.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#26]
BTW, I want Maddog71's mag!

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, but this mag was apparently made from TWO mags, and in order to be of legal post-ban production, EACH of the two mags would have to be independently operable in the original gun.

But as I said, it sure looks pre-ban to me!

Lacking any LEO only markings that I can see,  that's what I believe.

Personally, I'm SURE that there are some new USGI 30's being made without any identifying marks to prove that they're post-ban, and they're being smuggled into the market.
And I approve of that.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Let us know if it works.
I was going to try to resist, but that looks like a real fun toy.
Only if they work will I buy one, though
(a little tip I picked up from an ugly buy when I was 21, I bought one of those piece of crap tri-bursts without asking around first...now I know a little better )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top