Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I got my CMP Garand last year, when you didn't chose which make you got.  I ordered two and got a beautiful Springfield, which went to my father-in-law, and a Winchester, which obviously I kept.  Got them both for $400 each.  Not only has the base price gone up now, but you pay more for a Winchester.  It's still a hell of a deal; have you seen what they're going for at gun shows?  

Everybody should take advantage of this program.  Plus, you can get cheap 30-06 and .30 Carbine ammo from them.  The hoops you have to jump through aren't that bad, and I thought shooting in the match was a blast.  (I finished second out of thirty, but I'd been practice dry-firing in my kitchen).  There were some guys there who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and a couple guys who I swear had never fired a gun before.  But it was still a good time.  

Putting my order in the mail today for the 1903A3...
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Couple guys here each got 2   .22LR from them.

One is .22 LR Kimber, single shot, fancy match sights, good trigger, weighs 10 lbs., parkerized, big walnut stock.  Never fired I think they said.  600.00

2nd is Mossberg .22LR, I think they said these were used but were in great shape.  Looked refinished and had basic peep sight.  Don't remember price.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I was reading on the webpage, abotu orders for 1903's not being processed till after may 1, for those of us not in the lottery.  Does that still mean i can send mine in or would they "lose" it i i sent it in now
?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Once upon a time, DCM sold M1911A1s too.  And they supplied free ammo for the leg matches.  And...

I think I'm going to cry now. [>Q]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My computer will not go to the local clubs page for Wisconsin. Last year I looked and could not contact a single club to meet the match requirement. Anyone have a clue to any matches or clubs in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area that I can go to???  I would appreciate it...
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#7]
This is what you're missing out on by not buying one of these:

This is my 7-43 SA Garand. Wished I'd gotten one back when they were less than $200.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a Garand from the DCM when they were $185.  One clinic, a letter and almost nine months wait.  It came in the mail, in a cardboard box.  The rural letter carrier said "You can't mail guns!!!"  So my wife just agreed & took it in.  

Last month, I got a .22 Mossberg for $95 total cost.  As they didn't have my DCM info, I had to do it over.  A copy of my birth cert. to prove citizenship, copies of ANJRPC, local club (CRRC) and the results sheet from a pistol match was all it took.  Wait was about a month.  The Mossberg was pretty decent, for a 1950s target rifle.  No mag (as advertised) very nice target rear sight, post front, looks like it had never, ever been cleaned and the trigger guard was intact and strong.  The website guarantees it to shatter if it's not already broke.  Numrich Arms has magazines and replacement trigger guards.  And it SHOOTS.  It's no Anschutz, but it's very good.

Both M1 Garands and .22 Mossbergs are highly recommended.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Jim dandy, thats a nice rifle, what grade is it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Jim Dandy, that is a very nice rifle indeed. Did you replace or refinish the stock?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of you need a CMP catalog......they`ll send you one if you ask.......
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I just shot my match today.  I'm going back in two weeks to get the results and shoot a qualifier just for fun.  I'm already a member of a CMP affiliated club so as soon as I get the results back I'll be sending in an order for at least 1 M1, maybe 2 or 3!  I'll also order some ammo to go with them.

Libertas an Mortis!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The smart money buys an H&R Garand.  Collectable, very well made.  By all reports fully the equal in fit, finish, and workmanship of S.A. contemporaries.  Last of the breed, with all the final tweaks.  IMHO, YMMV.

The new CMP website lets you pick between the different makers, SA, IH, HR, WIN, and the Win is the most $$.

Was the HR made early in WWII? I really want a well made Garand, but prefer one with the possibility of some serious WWII history.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Zoom:

I have another option.  Talk to your local club about becoming a CMP affiliate.  That way the whole club can benefit.  Ask a local highpower/silhouette shooter to host the clinic (on a saturday) and qualify many to purchase the rifles and ammo.  This is too good of deal to miss.  Think of the children.  I plan on acquiring one to hand down to each of my children.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
mtnpatriot, where in NC?  Anywhere close to Spartanburg, SC?  Are the matches not on a Sunday?

Talk to your local club about becoming a CMP affiliate

What local club?  The only range I know of locally is one run by a state law enforcement agency.  They watch it like a hawk every minute that it's open.  They don't allow any sort of organization meetings or matches.  I've talked to a lot of shooters locally over the past few years, and I don't know a one that shoots regularly or has a good spot to shoot.  I wish I could organize a group to become a CMP-affiliated club, but I don't know where to shoot.  We could have a class, practise dry firing, and maybe shoot air rifles in the warehouse where I work, but I don't know where we could shoot highpower.  The owner of the ISP we use at work has been trying to organize a group to lease some land, and he hasn't found a single person willing to go in with him.  He's advertised to almost a thousand of local Internet users with zero luck.

I do know one highpower shooter that lives about 50 miles from me.  He has offered to teach or RO anything, anytime (his words).  The only problem is that he drives all of the way to Fort Gordon in Augusta, GA to shoot.  That's about a (guess) two hour drive each way.  I don't think I could get 10+ people to drive that far for a club event.

Think of the children

That's truly the sad part.  The last few times I showed someone else how to shoot, we drove 102 miles each way to an indoor range.  Yes they had fun, but it's not something they're going to go to the time and expense to do again.  The anti's and LEO's are winning the battle here, and the poor children are exactly who I'm thinking about.z
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The new CMP website lets you pick between the different makers, SA, IH, HR, WIN, and the Win is the most $$.
Was the HR made early in WWII? I really want a well made Garand, but prefer one with the possibility of some serious WWII history.

Only Springfield and Winchester made M-1's during WWII. Winchester did not make M-1's after WWII. H&R and IH contracted to make M-1's during the Korean war but none were delivered before the cease fire.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I want one too. I am a legal permanent resident but not a citizen yet. Can I qualify, or must I become a citizen first?
By the way, citizenship is at least one year away.
BP
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I want one too. I am a legal permanent resident but not a citizen yet. Can I qualify, or must I become a citizen first?
By the way, citizenship is at least one year away.
BP

All the info. I have says that you must be a U.S. Citizen. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask them. They are always very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd love to purchase an M1 and a 1903 (I can hear the wife warming up her vocal cords now), but my CMP club NEVER has any matches.  Highpower matches are even further out of the question, as my club's range doesn't allow centerfire rifles (stupid county park ordinance).  What are my options?  Was there ever a definitive answer on whether pistol matches/instruction counts?

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
but my CMP club NEVER has any matches.  Highpower matches are even further out of the question, as my club's range doesn't allow centerfire rifles (stupid county park ordinance).

How about rimfire metallic silhouette?  Basically nothing more than formalized plinking.  You'll need a .22 rifle, a 100 yard range and some reusable targets.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I just received an e-mail about Ammoman's sale on the guns he has in stock.  One of them is a Springfield M-1 with CMP paperwork for $650.  I just thought I mention it here since several of you guys mentioned not being able to find a local match.  Well, here's your chance if you've got the extra money and don't want to have to deal with the hassle and delay with the Garand Retention Program.z
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
You can even make an offer to ammoman for below the listed price, as he is looking to liquidate all of his stock
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top