Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 8:59:34 PM EDT
OK, so preban AR-15 vs. HK 93 vs. Galil vs. Aug. Opinions wanted as to the best. I want a shooter, not something to go above my bed. I like the HK because well...it's an HK and I know it shoots well. Never shot an Aug or Galil though.

I know cost is going to suck, but what about spare parts? The AR-15 obviously wins in that department, but could I get new spare parts (everything but magazines) for the Galil, Aug or HK 93?

themao
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah, and I forgot to include the Valmet.

themao
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The valmet would be the cheapest of the bunch, and then the HK93 and Galil (last would be the AUG which I have little knowledge of - just never appealed to me). Another consideration is an FN FAL folder in .223 (or .308 para).

For parts availability the HK93 may be your best bet, but it won't be cheap. I swapped out a buttstock and it was like $500...

[Edited to add: leaving out the AR15, which would be the cheapest in the long run.)
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
AR15.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
pre- 86 ar15
Seriously-
HK's will kill you on parts.
Preban ak if you want a folding stock that bad.
But a new good ak is 300?

Look at the picture a tthe top left of the website.. doesn't it just look cool?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with 12nv

Parts for the H&K are EXPENSIVE

Galil's are nice but parts are rare.

AK's well its an AK.  I wouldn't pay more than 300 bucks for one.  Nice rifles but 1400 bucks for one with a folding stock?  I'll pass.

Augs nice rifles but parts are rare and so are mags.

AR15 prebans you can find.  Parts affordable.  Modifications are too numerous to list.  Mags are easy to find.  

For a shooter AR's are hard to beat.

Max
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Rumor is a bunch of HK 93 kits are sitting in a bonded warehouse awaiting final approval from customs/atf.  I haven't heard anything new in the last couple of months, but DSA was advertising kits for $375 and I believe Vector said they were going to start making 93 clones.  If this is true, parts likely won't be much of an issue if you decide to go this route.  Just make sure to pick up a complete kit before they dry up.

Rocko
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
of all the preban guns the one i really really want beside a ar15 is a AUG!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Never owned a 93 but did have a 91 back in the good old days.  Bought in '79 for $375.  Got rid of it after the first ban.  Yes, I made good money on it.

Anyway, even back then parts and accessories were (a) obscenely expensive and (b) hard to find.  H & K was hung up on "authorized dealers" back then, still are as far as I know.

H & K was a neat gun but, it tossed brass about as far as it tossed bullets.  Not a rig for the reloader. Never shot an AUG.  Handled one or two.  Also a neat gun, but no way I would/could pay the price they were getting then or now. Also got to handle a Galil.  Heavy as I recall.  And also way to much money.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never actually seen a Valmet for sale anywhere.  Can somebody point me in the right direction and give me some kind of idea what the cost will be.  

The Galil in .223 looks pretty interesting too.  What kind of price, and where to get?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top