Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/27/2002 7:34:38 PM EDT
Just needing feedback on the Super Sniper (yes dumb name I know) but if its good enough for the Navy it cant be to bad.I actually am looking for a fixed 10x for my M1A, should I save $300 more and get a Leupold M3 or maybe a IOR 10x42, gotta love that MP8 reticle. Does that large rear fluted ocular interefere with mounting low on the M1A? Just thoughts experiences and opinions would be appreciated
Thanks Foldemfast
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:50:29 PM EDT
I put one on a Ar-10 and absolutely love it, it holds zero perfect and was easy to sight in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:32:04 PM EDT
those are good scopes for the money, some of my friends have them . dont know about on the m1a though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:18:05 AM EDT
I have one and love it. It is good to go. SWFA has them in stock.

Max
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:41:40 AM EDT
Disclaimer: I am not speaking from the vantage point of ownership. Only from what I have read on the net.

I was looking for a cheap Mil dot. I came across the Tasco and did some research on the net (one of these places) 216.219.200.59/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=5

I decided not to get one. Also - from what I have read - they never produced these for the navy. In fact, they were discountinued and then picked up again for exclusive distribution by SWFA. (I know SWFA is around and can possiblely answer more on these).

From what I have read - it can be hit and miss. Esp with the side parrallax adj models.

ps - 3-9X40 Mil Dot Loopys are available for $375.00 - at least is a safe bet for a cheap Mil dot.

Like I said, I don't own a Tasco SS. All threads on the net about troubles with the SS models could well be a conspiracy against Tasco. Or.....

Good luck. Do your homework. Glass is too expensive and too easy to not get what you wanted or expected for what you shell out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:52:13 AM EDT
That's true, they didn't end up with the contract, Leupold wised up and didn't throw the business away by discontinuing the line.

It's a great scope for the money. I've got one on my 24" and it's very good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:19:17 AM EDT
I have one ( 20 X) on a State Arms 50 bmg, it has held up to 500 rounds so far with out a hitch. I was planning to put a 10 x on a AR15 Im building.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:10:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:39:46 PM EDT
500 rounds of 50? That's encouraging.

Have any of you guys maxed the W & E and then come back to zero - how did it do?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:17:02 PM EDT
It's a really good scope. I have both a SS and a Leupold Long Range M1. The Leupold is still better, but not in proportion to the cost difference. Do research, there are some models of Super Snipers most people like better than others. I went with the concensus, the older SS with the focus adjustment on the rear lens cover. I know a few people that had focus problems with the newer versions, focus knob in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:30:04 PM EDT
Foldemfast,

I have one with the rear focus. It has been a solid performer for me on a AR15. It moved tonight to an M1A. I have heard the side focus models were a problem, but exactly what that problem is or verification I can not recall.

Your bigger problem is scope mount and cheekweld on an M1A. I have the Smith Enterprise scope mount. A good one. I can use the irons with the scope mounted. There are a few other good ones and some not so good.

But all share a common problem. The scope is too high using the standard M1A stock. There is no way to get a cheekweld and look through the scope. You will need to resolve that problem before you can really shoot.

Good luck.

James
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:40:48 PM EDT
Gentlemen, thanks for the info and keep it coming,any body know why the side focus has problems? Six and Fight4yourrights, If the Navy didnt get the contract is SWFAs statement "previously awarded Navy contact #NOO164-93-c-205" A false statement???
Jimmybcool I know cheek weld on a M1a us difficult unless of course you have a M21,this is why I dont want to spend a mess of money for a scope on it.
Thanks Foldemfast
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:17:06 PM EDT
Foldem,

I honestly don't remember what the side focus issue was. Try snipercountry.com. They had a review on them there.

As to cheekweld on an M1A, I shudder to think any of my brothers here would see my M1A right now. I just kludged together a cheekpiece from cardboard and cloth tape. Looks like sh^& but I think it'll work. The stock on mine is junk anyway.

I have two stocks on order from Freds, a presentation wood stock, and a camo fiberglass stock. I also ordered the Fulton Armory cheekpiece. In intend to use it with the camo stock for regular shooting. But since I'm checking out the SS on the M1A tomorrow, well, I had to build a kludge.

Ya know, if I didn't have this shooting jones I'd probably write the next great American novel with all the time on my hands.

James
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:30:32 PM EDT
Foldemfast-

The problem with the side focus models was that the lens allowing for focus was very close to the tube itself. When torqueing rings on the tube, this lens would bind, freezing the focus capability.

As I heard it, TASCO fixed these under warranty, and it was a simple fix.

SWFA will be able to tell you if the problem has been corrected in recent models.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:41:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By foldemfast:
Gentlemen, thanks for the info and keep it coming,any body know why the side focus has problems? Six and Fight4yourrights, If the Navy didnt get the contract is SWFAs statement "previously awarded Navy contact #NOO164-93-c-205" A false statement???
Jimmybcool I know cheek weld on a M1a us difficult unless of course you have a M21,this is why I dont want to spend a mess of money for a scope on it.
Thanks Foldemfast

I believe that was a contract for a small quantity of prototypes, or LRIP (low rate initial production)

As I recall, Leupold stayed in the game and won the big contracts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:42:04 AM EDT
Is the side focus feature worth the extra $100. What are the advantages?

I would adjust it till it focuses, I don't need to look at the numbers on the dial, I would not use it as a ranging device.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:47:16 AM EDT
Foldemfast, since I do not remember the exact order of events relating to them not producing these for the Navy, I would once again refer you to the site that I linked. There is LOTS of good info on most every kind of scope you would most likely consider.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:04:14 PM EDT
I have the rear focus model.
It's mounted on a REM LTR .308
Using harris bipod and handloaded 150 grain FMJBT, I have shot .40 inch group at distance of 225yards.
With 168 grain HPBTM at 100 yards shot a group of .20

mike
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:26:12 PM EDT
I've got one on my AR10T Carbine, and consider it to be the best scope out there for the money.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:56:29 PM EDT
Top Top