Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/26/2002 7:58:46 AM EDT
There are tons of parts guns out there, cetme, fals, M1 carbines , ak's etc. I know that they need to have a number of US made parts to be legal, but can these guns also be made with US manufactured mags? Magazines seem to have a great number of parts available to legalize them, but will they then be useable in a weapon that does not have the required US parts count? In my mind it is cheaper to put together your mags with US parts, and only use them in your guns, than to install parts that may or may not be up to spec. Your experise in these matters is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:49:08 AM EDT
No more than 10 imported parts allowed and the rest have to be made up of US made parts. Magazines count as part of the gun as far as the feds go, and it's usually cheaper to replace a magazine follower and a floor plate than say, a hammer and a sear. The downside would be that you could only legally use those magazines modified with US parts, and not the unmodifed ones. Some people put more US parts in the gun so they can use any magazine they want. BTW, M1 carbines are US made so they don't need to be modified.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:20:38 PM EDT
This is a real minefield. I've given up on the parts guns. The problem is that the US parts aren't as good as the original and after they recoat the used parts you can't tell what kind of junk you've got. Just take a look at the FALs today. I spend the extra dollars and buy the pre-bans. It hurts at first but the resale pays it back.
Top Top