Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 7:26:39 AM EDT
Shooters ability aside. I am looking for a very capable AR15. I was wanting to go with a kit or by a barrel and modify one that I already have.

What is broach cut? Does it do much for accuracy?

Should I go with a 24" or 20" barrel? I know that it may mean a difference of about 100fps but I don't really care to lug a longer rifle around if there will be no real benefit.

What should I look for? Stainless, heavy, etc..?
I realize this could be a loaded question but any help would be appreciated.

Please educate me.
Bill
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I have what I consider to be a good compromise between carrying comfort and shooting ability.  It's an A2 style (well, almost...it's all A2 except the upper receiver itself, which is an A1) rifle with a 20 inch Bushmaster National Match heavy barrel.  It's chrome lined with a 1 in 9 twist.   It's not an expensive barrel, being about 200 bucks with handguards, gas tube, etc. Attach it to your receiver and you've got a complete uper.    Its accuracy is quite good enough for most applications.  With match grade ammo it will shoot groups in the half inch range at 100 yards if you are shooting slow enough to avoid getting the barrel very hot.

It's about a pound and a half heavier than a lightweight A1 profile barrel,  not bad.  You can carry it all day and you won't feel like you've been carrying a boulder.  Plus you will hit what you're pointed at.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have what I consider to be a good compromise between carrying comfort and shooting ability.  It's an A2 style (well, almost...it's all A2 except the upper receiver itself, which is an A1) rifle with a 20 inch Bushmaster National Match heavy barrel.  It's chrome lined with a 1 in 9 twist.   It's not an expensive barrel, being about 200 bucks with handguards, gas tube, etc. Attach it to your receiver and you've got a complete uper.    Its accuracy is quite good enough for most applications.  With match grade ammo it will shoot groups in the half inch range at 100 yards if you are shooting slow enough to avoid getting the barrel very hot.

It's about a pound and a half heavier than a lightweight A1 profile barrel,  not bad.  You can carry it all day and you won't feel like you've been carrying a boulder.  Plus you will hit what you're pointed at.

CJ

I have that same setup that I bought from davidson's for $599. . . made by bushmaster though.

Very very accurate and reliable. I get 1/4 to 1/2 inch 5 shot groups @ 100 yards with good handloads and a 24x scope mounted on the carry handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top