Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2002 12:03:22 PM EDT
I got my NC concealed carry permit three weeks ago.  I'm hovering somewhere between being just annoyed and completely disillusioned with the number of places I CAN'T carry.  90% of the time my carry gun is left in the car.  The whole business of "no carry" signs is crap.  Basically, I know that if I'm in my car, I'm legal.  Outside that, I'm prolly screwed.  What really frosts me is that I can't carry into a gun show!  Talk about adding insult to injury.

Help me make a list of places in NC where I can legally enter and do business while carrying.  So far I have:
  • Food Lion
  • Lowe's
  • WalMart
  • Winn-Dixie

That's about it.  I can't think of another place that's legal.  I gladly support any other businesses you can list.  If you can list a shopping mall or chain store, that'd be great.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
YOu can carry anyplace that doesn't have a sign.
Restricted places: Courthouse, government buildings, anyplace the charges for admission (theater, gunshow, athletic events), schools.
All of the restricted places SHOULD have covered in your class.
Where in NC are you?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can carry anyplace that doesn't have a sign.
Restricted places: Courthouse, government buildings, anyplace the charges for admission (theater, gunshow, athletic events), schools.
All of the restricted places SHOULD have covered in your class.
Where in NC are you?

I know the regulations, and the whole mile long list of where you can't carry.

My point is that NEARLY EVERYPLACE I GO there IS a "no carry" sign.  When you add that to the "charge admission" restriction, well, you're pretty well covered.  You might as well leave it in your car permanently.

I live/work between Greensboro and Raleigh.

I was seriously hoping that I could make a list of places that I could go to without having to leave my piece in the car.

Forget this topic, I'm done whining now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The problem is where you live.
We have very few places here by New Bern  that you cannot carry in. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen a single sign anywhere I've gone.

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Forget this topic, I'm done whining now.

I don't think you're whining, at all.  You're exactly right.  You are giving a long list of where you can't carry, but where you can carry isn't covered in nearly as much detail.  You paid the money for the permit and dealt with the hassle of being treated like a criminal to get it, so you deserve to know where you can carry.

The main places I want to carry (if I'm ever allowed by the state police to) are at work (yes, it's ok w/ the owner), while driving, while walking to work, at the bank, ATM, and while pumping gas.  That's pretty much everywhere I go, so I would be set if I just had the permit.  Well, that's my list of places where I plan to carry.z
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, let me tell you where this began.

I went to a local handgun range near my house.  This is the same establishment where the owner did my CC permit class.

I want to shoot my carry gun.

Arrive at the door; big sign: ALL FIREARMS MUST BE CASED.  So I have to go back to the car and put my carry gun in my range bag.  Do you sense a little irony here?

Then I'm out the the Southpoint Mall near RTP.  I didn't carry my gun because I figured it was posted.  Got to the door and didn't see a sign.  Walked around, nice mall (if you love clothes) and afer an hour, head to the door.  There's a teeny-weeky sign on the wall near the door:  Mall Rules.  Sure enough, halfway down the list:  No posession of anything that can be construed as a weapon.

I guess I shouldn't gripe, its better than nothing.

The one place that I really feel the need to carry is the State Parks in our area.  They have nice hiking trails but sometimes bad folk hang out there.  Again, big sign out front: NO FIREARMS.

I choose to ignore the question about whether a convenience store that sells beer and wine is okay.  Those places have got to be the most robbed-at-gunpoint stores on earth.

Oh well, where's that Prozak....
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The teeny weeny sign doesn't cut the mustard. It has to be CONSPICUIOUSLY IN VIEW.
AS for the range, well, talk to the owners. They may have a reason for that rule.
I was at the range once, and a.... minority male and his bud were carrying their handguns in a PAPER BAG!!!!!
Friggin unreal.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It sucks. The rule about anywhere that sell or serves alcohol is the studiest thing.
I gave them my fingerprints and paid all that money and I still can't be trusted to carry in a movie theater or in a gas station?

I recently went to Kentucky, which honors our CCW, I carried everywhere for 5 days, there wasn't a place I went where I couldn't take my gun with me. Hmmm, maybe I should just move back there.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't gas stations and Food Lion sell alcohol?  Aren't they off limits here in NC too?
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't gas stations and Food Lion sell alcohol?  Aren't they off limits here in NC too?

I thought it was where alcohol was SERVED.  If you are right, that leaves Lowes and Walmart.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top