Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2002 2:20:18 PM EDT
First off, glad to have found this forum, what a wealth of info.  I can't belive it's been 16 years since I've fired my Marine Corps issued M16A2, were has the time gone?

Anyway, I just picked up a new Colt MT6700 (Match Target Comp).  The barrel is stamped:
"C MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR"
The way I read it is: chrome chamber, magna-fluxed, NATO ammo able, 1-9 twist, HBAR profile.  Is this correct?

Second question, as the chamber (NOT the bore) is chromed, are there any fancy break-in proceedures that I need to be aware of?  I don't plan to compete with this rifle so I really can't see doing the shoot/clean/repeat routine.  I DO want to do everything I can to enhance accuracy, I just like shooting rather than cleaning.

I plan to clean the weapon well before I fire the first shot, then shoot about 200 rounds before the next cleaning.  Is this wrong for a non-lined bore?  Any and all opinions are appreciated along with cleaning products and techniques.  It's been a long time and I'm sure that there are new "super"-products that rival CLP.

Finally, I also bought an Aimpoint Comp ML2 for this rifle.  Any suggestions on how to site this  scope in?  The owners manual is a little "thin".  My plan is to zero the rifle at 25 yds, then mount the scope and align the dot on "top" of the front site.

Thanks for reading this far, and thanks for any replies that you may want to offer.

Cheers -

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey ironwedge -

First of all, welcome aboard! Second, THANKS for your service as a Marine.
Now to your questions:
I think you have deciphered the barrel markings pretty accurately, except that I thought the MP stood for 'military production", but I oculd be wrong about that. If I am, someone will surely correct me!

For breaking the non chrome lined barrel, I'd at least shoot 10, clean, shoot maybe 20-40 more, clean, and then just clean it after every trip to the range. The main thing you already have covered - clean it WELL before taking it out the first time.

CLP is to this day one of the best things you can use on your AR. For a non chrome lined bore, I'd use some Hoppe's #9 (or similar bore solvent) on it now and then to help loosen up copper fouling. again, a good preliminary cleaning will go a long way to help prevent fouling in the first place.

For zeroing the ML2 (Great choice, by the way), the method you described will get you close depending on what type of mounting you have. Still, it's best to zero the irons and also zero the ML2 while shooting at a target. Can't go wrong that way!

Again, welcome to the board - this is a great place to hang out and there are lots of great folks here (and some trolls too!). Thick skin will help.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thankyou for serving, I was never in the service, but not for lack of desire(bad hearing).
I fell strange making a weapons suggestion to a Marine, but may I suggest the improved battlesite zero explained at this site.Go down the side bar to zero methods.
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShooterSite/homepage.msnw
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, I typed the url wrong. First time I have tried it.
Welcome aboard. I have been here 4  months and it is very addictive. You will love it.
Here is the correct url(I hope)
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/homepage.msnw
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#4]
MP stands for magnetic particle tested.  You will also find that stamping on the bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top