Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 7:54:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a particularly skanky specimen. You did the right thing to pass it up.

Keep looking, though. If you find a good one, they are really nice.  I got one a month or so ago. Had to do a little work on it, but I really like it now. Shoots 2MOA with the iron sight and surplus ammo. Recoil is amazingly low for a 7.62X51.

AFIK, there are two kinds of receivers around.  Hesse makes a stamped receiver that uses HK-style drum rear sight. Special Weapons makes a cast (stainless?) steel receiver that uses the traditional CETME paddle-wheel sight.  Mine is a SW, and it came tagged with a Century tag that said "stainless receiver" or something like that.

There is a great section on "what to look for when buying a CETME" at Mike the Electrician's website, which is here:

http://www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/cetme1.html?1006652443870
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want one, I have an excellent rifle that will be going up for sale very soon.  The Full Auto god has come calling, and I need to part with a few things to raise some cash.

If interested, shoot me an Email.  It will by on the equipment exchange forum in the near future.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Aimless,
I saw 2 Cetmes today at the Big Town gunshow. and almost bought one (Impulse Buy from HELL!!  Thank God the guy had 2 stripped RRA lowers for sale @ $95.00 ea.!!!!!)  They were nice.....the best I have seen.  I don't know jack about the CETMES except that they were around before the HK (I think).  I WOULD NOT pay $530 for one, as some parts will not interchange with HK and the ones you describe sound pretty junky.

I did own a Federal Arms G3, and it shot great, but out of 5 mags I had for it only 1 worked without FTF.  It did shoot sweet, though.

Here is a website from Shotgun News that sells CETMES for $395.99  www.gunsnammo.com

My advice.......shop around, you might be glad you did.  Let me know if they shoot good if you get one, though.

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The $370 to $400 price is dealer cost, not retail.  If you know an FFL that will transfer it to you, that would be the way to go.  The last I heard, the parts kits they are using are of poor quality.  I would be careful about mail ordering one of these rifles, because you may get a POS.  Your best bet is to buy one that you can look at.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a CETME 1yr ago and love mine.When Century 1st started selling the CETME's they were using like new parts kits.The wood,bore,everything on mine looks brand new.I have heard that the CETME's coming out now are frickin UGLY 'cause Century is scraping the bottom of the barrel for parts kits.

Because of this you might want to pay a little more and buy one at a gunshow so you can inspect 'fore you buy.Or find somebody that bought one a yr or so ago.Mine functions great,as with any HK,it will eat any ammo.Mags are really cheap from Tapco now.

Try www.gunboards.com Go to the CETME forum and they will answear ALL your questions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought my CETME from www.gunsnammo.com about 6 months ago.  I ordered it on a monday and it was at my local FFL the very next week.  

Mine has the SW stainless receiver and the correct CETME rear sight.  I fired about 25 rounds through it and it hits about 1.5 ft high at 50 yards.  I have to make a front sight adjusting tool for it and then will be back off to the range to zero it.  Out of those 25 rounds fired, I didn't have a single problem.  I loaded 5 rounds in 5 different magazines, and all functioned as expected.  I did do a complete tear-down and cleaning before firing, to remove the crud and metal filings that Century had left in there during the construction.  Back when I bought my CETME www.tapco.com was offering magazines at $5 each when you bought 20 or more.  

OSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top