Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/14/2002 11:40:02 PM EDT
I've seen posts here expressing interest in wood furniture for the AR. Has anyone made any progress on production? Apparently there is a concern about the wood not being strong enough to take the pressure of being removed and replaced because of the tension on the handguard ring. I think I may have come up with a way around this that does not require any modification to the rifle. It would however require the destruction of a set of the "plastic" handguards. I am talking with a local retired craftsman about making me a complete set, but it's still in the talking phase right now. Just thought I would throw this out to see if anyone was making these yet. I would really hate to go to all the trouble and expense just to find them listed in a post or on a web site the next day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:49:43 PM EDT
It has to be out there I saw some installed on one at the last gun show.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:01:39 AM EDT
alfajim
Somebody had a picture of one posted here, but I think they came from Colt as some kind of "special edition" years ago. If you happen to think of who was selling them, please let me know. I really want a complete wood furniture set BAAAAAAAAAAAD!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:13:39 AM EDT
Brownells carries wood sets for the AR's. And boy are they fugly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:43:49 AM EDT
Brownells carries a Walnut buttstock, and a laminated thumbhole stock. I'd like to have the laminated on my varmint rifle, but it's pricey - $199.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:46:49 AM EDT
Are you talking natural wood or laminate? The walnut stocks can be found for $99, while the laminates are $200. You can match the walnut buttstock to a walnut match grip for another $50 or so. I'm not so sure about the walnut stock, but I know I love the walnut grip.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:50:20 AM EDT
i love my plastic AR, but something about wood makes me feel all warm.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:24:00 AM EDT
I,ve found the waknut stocks and pistol grips several places, so they aren't a real big concern. My primary interest is in the hand guards. I came up with an idea that would use the front and back portions of the current "plastic" handguards as "caps" to mount to the rifle, with everything in between being walnut. More or less the same way the wood gas tube cover is set up on the SKS.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:24:58 AM EDT
Colt made these for a short time or for some presentation rifles or something. There is a member that owns one that was looking into reproducing them, but it hasn't happened yet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:03:00 AM EDT
I dont know
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:25:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:00:31 AM EDT
It might be an expensive route, but couldn't a wood handguard sleeve be fitted over one of the NM free float handguard liners?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:30:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2002 5:05:12 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:44:19 PM EDT
I bought a walnut stock and walnut match grip from CDNN about six months ago. They both look real good. I would say the walnut is field grade. I haven't mounted them yet because I am still trying to locate walnut hand guards. What I have heard about the walnut hand guards is that they cracked when a lot of rounds were put through the AR and the barrels got hot. I'm not sure if they had heat shields. I figure I might be able to get around that since my Bushy's barrel is fluted and I plan on trying to use double heat shields. I too have thought about using a wood handguard sleeve over plastic or aluminum. My dad makes walnut furniture as a hobby, so I approached him about the project, but after conferring with his furniture making buddies, he said he couldn't do it for me. So I'm back to square one. Another project I plan on doing is to make an extra fancy grade walnut delta style cheek piece for my AR, but I never seem to have the time.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:53:34 PM EDT
I've seen some and I didn't like it. It's fine for AK's and FAL's.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:55:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LarryinCA:
My dad makes walnut furniture as a hobby, so I approached him about the project, but after conferring with his furniture making buddies, he said he couldn't do it for me. So I'm back to square one.
Larry

Did he say what the problem would be?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:39:18 AM EDT
I saw some really ugly wooden free-float tubes at the last HGCA.

I might be interested in dark brown wood furniture that looked lkind of like the Sudanese AR-10.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:21:23 AM EDT
Hello the room!
I don't know if it helps or not,but....
The Company of S.E.Overton in South Haven Michigan used to make Handguards and stocks for the AR,and then the Early M-16 from Beech.They were painted Black.If I remember correctly the last customer they had for them was the Govt. of the Philipines.
I work with the grandson of the original manager,who himself inherited the job of Production Manager back in the late 70's.
I will ask if he remembers,or if he would ask Frank Overton where it was those stocks and handguards were sent.The Company is out of business now,thanks to synthetic stocks.
In their history they made the Majority of M1 Carbine stocks(Marked SO),huge volumes of Garand Stocks,the lions share of the M-14 stocks before Fiberglass,and then made stocks for Remington,Ruger,and Savage.
When they went out of business they had a "Garage sale" of sorts,and I remember seeing bins of M16 stocks and handguards,next to bins of FAL furniture.The stuff is out there.
Like I said,I'll ask,and pass it on if he or Frank Overton knows where the stuff went to.
Cheers!
S-28
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:10:51 AM EDT
Bretshooter
He really didn't go into detail, Just that they couldn't drill/ hollow out the insides, he told me to try a stock maker, but I know that would cost an arm and a leg. If I ever get the time, I'm going to try to make a set anyway.

S-28
I wonder if those wooden stocks were for the AP74 (.22 & .32 cal ar15 clone) or one of it's clones. I think they were first made in Italy and then later made in the Philippines. I'm not sure if they would work, but I would have to see one in person to know for sure.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:23:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LarryinCA:
Bretshooter
He really didn't go into detail, Just that they couldn't drill/ hollow out the insides, he told me to try a stock maker, but I know that would cost an arm and a leg. If I ever get the time, I'm going to try to make a set anyway.

Larry

A forstner bit and an extension would hollow it out. Or make it in two halves and use anything you want to hollow it out. Attaching them as two pieces might be a trick...
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:31:01 AM EDT
DSA has them listed in their last Shotgunnews
adds. stock for 60.00 and the target grip too.
Just listed as service grade walnut. Haven't seen the front though.
Top Top