Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 3:40:02 PM EDT
What kind of shooting do you do with your “black rifle”?

Like most shooters I used to go to local target range to shoot my rifles but after few years that go to be boring.  Fortunately, about 2 years ago, one of my friends got permission for us to shoot at a large rockpit.  Since that time we have been making up different drills to practice more “realistic” skills.  Now we have 7 drills that are shot regularly and our skill with rifles has improved a lot.  

All our targets are 18” wide and 30” cardboard to which 8” paper plates are taped in the center.  Only hits to the paper plate count as “hits”.    3 targets are used for each drill and they are placed side by side 10 feet apart.  Also, all drill start with a round in the chamber and safety on with the rifle in low ready position.

Our 7 drills are as follows:

“Precision”
From 300 yard line, go prone and engage each target with 5 shots.  This is repeated at 200 and 100 yard line.  

“Stop and Go”
Starting at 200 yard line go prone and engage each target with 2 shots.  Run to 100 yard line, go to keeling position and repeat.  Run to 50 yard line and repeat standing.   Mags change is required while moving to each shooting position.

“Side Walk”
Starting at 25 yard line walk/shuffle 25 yards to side and engage each target with 2 shots while moving.

“Forward Walk”
Starting at 25 yard line walk/shuffle to 10 yard line and engage each target with 2 shots while moving.

“El Presidente”
This is just like the drill shot by IPSC or IDPA shooters including mag change but shot from 10, 25 and 50 yard lines.

“Speed Shoot”
From 25 yard line, engage each target with 10 rounds as fast as possible.  Mag change is required between each target.  This is repeated at 50 yard line.

“Transition”
From 25 yard line, engage each target with 2 shot from standing position (start with only 6 rounds in the rifle).  After last shot,  secure rifle (slung over shoulder with barrel in down position and safety on) run to 10 yard line and draw pistol and engage each target with 2 shots.

None of us has ever been to a rifle/carbine class so we don’t know what else we should try but we are open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You should add a drill where you advance in 3 second or less spurts, firing when on the ground.

ie. 1. start at 300 at low port walking.
2. on whistle drop prone and fire on each target.
3. rifle on safety, push up, run forward to place of some cover using "I'm up, they see me, I'm down"
4. re shoot each target.
5. repeat until you reach 50 yards.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Tactical reloads and "tap-tug-rack" weapon malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What? no bayonet offensives?

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What? no bayonet offensives?

Sorry but got no bayonet lug on my post-ban AR.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good.

i've taken a couple of rifle classes, but your drills remind me that i need to move my ass around on my next shooting session.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope you all are practicing your drills while shooting both Right handed and Left handed,This will come in handy for any future MOUT scenario's you may encounter.

Come for my guns......I'll give ya the bullets first!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
How about encorporating transitions between rifle and sidearm into some of the scenarios you've listed?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all your suggestions.
On our next shoot we'll try to come up with some new drills incorporating these ideas/suggestions.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
5 shots from 7 yards to the ocular cavity from the low ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

5 shots from 7 yards to the ocular cavity from the medium ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

5 shots from 25 yards to thoracic cavity from low ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

5 shots from 25 yards to thoracic cavity from medium ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

10 shots to thoracic cavity from 50 yards with rapid assumption of kneeling timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 2.0 seconds or miss the cavity.

10 shots to thoracic cavity from 100 yards with rapid assumption of kneeling or prone timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 2.8 seconds or miss the cavity.

10 shots to thoracic cavity from 200 yards with rapid assumption of prone timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 4.0 seconds or miss the cavity.

2 targets from 50 yards are called at random by rangemaster and engaged freestyle under time pressure.  Shooter executes 1-2-2 drill (first shot to first target, next 2 to target #2, 2 to target #1 again).  8 seconds is allowed for this exercise.  All rounds in thoracic cavity to pass.

From 50 yards a target is called at random by rangemaster and engaged freestyle under time pressure.  2 rounds are loosed and the rangemaster will call either "type 1" "type 2" "type 3" or a second target.  If "type" is called then the shooter will execute a clearance drill immediately.  During the drill rangemaster calls the second target number or "cease fire."  Shooter fails if all fired rounds are not in thoracic cavity, if the shooter fires a round without a second target designated by the rangemaster or disobeys the "cease fire" command, or (if a malfunction drill is executed) if the allotted time expires without clearance of the weapon.  (Note that the type III clearance is the real toughie here).

Shooter must engage 2 targets with 3 rounds each to the thoracic cavity from 50 yards offhand.  Shooter must then execute an emergency reload and on command from the rangemaster cease fire or re-engage either target #1 or target #2 according to instructions. (12 seconds for this drill).

A few classes either my brother or I has attended have similar drills but not quite as strict as these (or with multiple targets).  Get all these down and you will be in pretty good stead.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
5 shots from 7 yards to the ocular cavity from the low ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

5 shots from 7 yards to the ocular cavity from the medium ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

5 shots from 25 yards to thoracic cavity from low ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

5 shots from 25 yards to thoracic cavity from medium ready timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 1.5 seconds or miss the cavity.

10 shots to thoracic cavity from 50 yards with rapid assumption of kneeling timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 2.0 seconds or miss the cavity.

10 shots to thoracic cavity from 100 yards with rapid assumption of kneeling or prone timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 2.8 seconds or miss the cavity.

10 shots to thoracic cavity from 200 yards with rapid assumption of prone timed with shot clock.  No shot may be over 4.0 seconds or miss the cavity.

2 targets from 50 yards are called at random by rangemaster and engaged freestyle under time pressure.  Shooter executes 1-2-2 drill (first shot to first target, next 2 to target #2, 2 to target #1 again).  8 seconds is allowed for this exercise.  All rounds in thoracic cavity to pass.

From 50 yards a target is called at random by rangemaster and engaged freestyle under time pressure.  2 rounds are loosed and the rangemaster will call either "type 1" "type 2" "type 3" or a second target.  If "type" is called then the shooter will execute a clearance drill immediately.  During the drill rangemaster calls the second target number or "cease fire."  Shooter fails if all fired rounds are not in thoracic cavity, if the shooter fires a round without a second target designated by the rangemaster or disobeys the "cease fire" command, or (if a malfunction drill is executed) if the allotted time expires without clearance of the weapon.  (Note that the type III clearance is the real toughie here).

Shooter must engage 2 targets with 3 rounds each to the thoracic cavity from 50 yards offhand.  Shooter must then execute an emergency reload and on command from the rangemaster cease fire or re-engage either target #1 or target #2 according to instructions. (12 seconds for this drill).

A few classes either my brother or I has attended have similar drills but not quite as strict as these (or with multiple targets).  Get all these down and you will be in pretty good stead.

Off topic i know, buy YOU ARE A CUTIE!!!!!!
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top