Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2002 8:50:47 AM EDT
My dads got some long guns that he wants to give me can I just take them or do I have to do this gun transfer paperwork?

according too the page below I sounds like I don't have to do paperwork too transfer the long guns only handguns?

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#20

Can I give a firearm to my adult child?  Can he/she give it back to me later?
Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a  parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement.  However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Operation of Law form and $14 fee to the DOJ within 30 days.  Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion.  See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12076(c))  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top