Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 11:24:22 AM EDT
I have heard in the past that the best after market mags for 1911 45 cal are the Wilson Combat and the Chip McCormick. Anybody using these mags or other reliable alternates please comment and include the best/cheapest place to purchase them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have about 20 Wilson 7 round mags. They work flawlessly. I get mine from Brownells at the dealer cost.

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Your looking for type 47 mags.

They will have a plastic follower that is  rounded, not flat.  The bottoms will have a bumper on them that will slide out to release the mag spring.  The great thing about the type 47 is that the follower prevent the last round from stove piping due to the follower having some depth to it and pushes last round up with out canting the round.

Don't confuse them with the standard metal type that have a bumper installed on the welded bottom. Also, I believe that the Wilsons use a SS body.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Shooting Stars suck, Wilsons are the best, Mec-Gars are the best good magazine at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had problems with the Wilson mags.  I use Metalform 7-rounders.  Never a jam with any kind of ammo including 230-grain +P.  Less than twelve bucks apiece from Brownells.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Metalform.  Not fancy, not pricey, nobody's name on them.  Just good mags that work.

www.metalformmagazines.com/

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had any malfunctions with my Kimber and only use Wilson 47's,Magpac's and I get them from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Spare mags for my wife's stainless Gold Match are my Wilson's and they work OK in the Kimber.  The BEST mags for that pistol however are the Italian-made originals from Kimber.  I cannot overstate how good the fit and workmanship of those mags are.  The fit is like velvet it's so tight and smooth.  Spares can be purchased from Kimber's website www.kimberamerica.com.  I'm gonna get her five more and get my Wilson's back.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I use the Chip McCormick 7 round officer's mags in both my Kimbers and have had great luck with them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Wilson 47DA's (8 rounders) are what I used.  I've tried a couple of Chip McCormick and they are OK too.

Sure I wouldn't use Wilson if I was going to leave a bunch of mags scattered on a battlefield, but for something that won't get beat up and will last forever, they seem worth the money to me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both Wilson and McCormick 8-rounders, and they work very very well.  The only problem I have (and it's true of the Wilson's, McCormick's and the factory 7-round) is that the slide occasionally fails to lock back.   I understand that can be fixed by installing a new slide-stop, which I'll be doing here shortly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I use wilsons and the stock kimber mag for my Pro Carry which I pack all the time.  The wilsons followers get chewed up by the slide stop and in the past I had some failures of the slide to lock to the rear.  I called wilson combat and asked to order some new followers and they sent me about 4 of them for free and also told me that kimbers are tough on their mags for some reason (not sure why, IMHO a slide stop is a slide stop...)

Anyway, I'd go with wilsons and kimbers.  Oh, one final point- the wilsons come with .35 inch baseplates unless you specify otherwise.  This makes them a little too long to fit in my shoulder-rig magazine pouch - requiring me to use kimber mags when I use the shoulder holster.

Tanker
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#12]
i'use wilsons in my colts and kimber.
not a problem,yet.
clown
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]
And the winner is...Wilson! I ordered 4 yesterday from Brownell's to get the ball rolling. Today I ordered a new Kimber Super Match to go with the mags. Sure, I got the cart before the horse but I figured if I bought the mags then I would be obligated to purchase the gun. Got a conversion kit, powder measure, dies and other reloading supplies from Dillon to round out the purchase. It's not that I was all that fired up to get a .45 but being an American kind of obligates you to have one....at least thats my story and I'm sticking with it! Thanks for all the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top