Posted: 3/9/2002 9:26:38 AM EDT
Well can it?

AR10?

M1A?

Anything else?

Max
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen anyway to do it myself, but then again, when there is a will there is a way. I wouldn't worry about it, the FAL mags are still cheap enough to buy just to use in one gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure, but I think that the BATF would say that you would be creating a new hi-cap mag.  That would be a violation of the 10 round mag law.  You would have to modify the firearm to use the FAL mag, something I would not do.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the deal is the mag must still work in the original gun it was intended for, then it is legal. So if you modify a FAL mag to fit in a AR-10 and it no longer works in the FAL, then you have done a no-no and manufactured a new mag.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Philadelphia_GunMan,  If that true, what about the modified STEN mags that you get with the Olympic Arms 9mm uppers?  They will not work in the STEN's anymore. Just wondering?

Vulcan94  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Philadelphia_GunMan,  If that true, what about the modified STEN mags that you get with the Olympic Arms 9mm uppers?  They will not work in the STEN's anymore. Just wondering?

Vulcan94  

Ya know, this has been brought up many times.  The answer.... (IMHO), only ATF and Olympic Arms knows.  I have seen this brought up many, many times and everytime, it seems to be just speculation.  No hard answer why Oly can do this....

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Kaliburz,  Thanks for the info.  AS I'm an new owner of Olympic's 9mm upper, I had wondered about that.

Thanks,  Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
There was a thread in the old 15.com telling about ArmaLite's problems with mag conversions but they got fixed.  I've seen the counterfeit AR10 mags and they seem to violate ATF instructions.  Hesse converted fal mags used in their HAR 25 (we call it the "HAR HAR HAR") violates the guidance too.  Maybe Oly is OK because their design predates the ban.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd think that it'd be easier to just modify the mag well, rather than modifying every FAL mag you owned. The hole for the M1A's mag catch could be punched in the front of the mag, and a tab welded on the back for the mag release. Of course, the last round bolt hold-open probably wouldn't work (since as far as I know the FAL didn't have one?) but you can either use tracers to signal an empty mag, or get familiar with the sound of a bolt going forward without stripping a cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
NH2112, The FAL's do have a bolt stop device that worked from an empty mag, I think it is the L1A1's that don't incorperate them. If you have an FAL clone that doesn't have one, you can insert the correct size roll pin into the bolt stop that will be actuated by the mag follower. There is a little hole in the bolt stop that will allow for this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Kaliburz,  Thanks for the info.  AS I'm an new owner of Olympic's 9mm upper, I had wondered about that.

Thanks,  Vulcan94

There is another option... one of the original systems that Oly Arms used.  It uses a block that is held in by the 223 mag catch and then below it is a 'paddle' that enganges the Sten mag (unmodified).  I'm working on memory here.... someone reverify this.

Granted, you have to 'learn' a new method of mag removal.  That's so since you can drop the mag block spacer and mag if you use the original 223 mag drop.  That's why this block design was dropped by Oly to the current modified mag style.  So I have read....

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
For the weapons you mentioned, the answer is no.  The FAL mag actually has a small spacer built into it and it is longer, front to rear, than the M14 or AR10 magazine.  If they were the right size, the ATF has ruled that you can only modify hi-cap mags if they will still fit in the original rifle.  Since the FAL magazine rocks into the magwell the same way the M14 magazine does, if you changed the lugs to fit the M14, they souldn't fit the FAL any longer and you're screwed.  

ASA has a .308 rifle that can use FAL mags because they made the receiver long enough for the extra length (front to rear) of the mazazine.  Also, since the mag catch now works from one side, they have to cut a catch in the side.  Not a problem, as the mag will still fit a FAL.  Before you go this route, do a search on American Spirit Arms and check their reputation for quality and customer service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top