Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/8/2002 8:32:41 AM EDT
OK, I've searched and really haven't come up with anything. I'm looking for a good range in N. Illinois or S. Wisconsin to shoot. I'm even willing to join a club and pay my dues, but I'm not having much luck. Anyone know of any good ranges, besides the 1 round at a time Bristol, in this area? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:40:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Frntsyt:
OK, I've searched and really haven't come up with anything. I'm looking for a good range in N. Illinois or S. Wisconsin to shoot. I'm even willing to join a club and pay my dues, but I'm not having much luck. Anyone know of any good ranges, besides the 1 round at a time Bristol, in this area? Thanks!

Try calling arround to the local Gun Shops..
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:42:24 AM EDT
check here

www.wheretoshoot.org

you can search by area code/zip code/or state.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:25:38 AM EDT
Check out my site,
it needs some updating, (I know), but here are some ranges I found.
www.illinois-shooter.org

I like bristol. I joined up there. It saves on the ammo, and most important, its outdoors, and its 30 mins from my house.

The Buffalo range in Owatta is good also. Lots of blasting! Only thing for me, is its 1 1/2 hr drive each way.

Maxon's back range in Des plaines is setup for high power rifle. Only thing is, you need to have the hook-up to do it. Meaning, you got to be part of the "clique" to do it.

Another I have learned about is Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee. Its a indoor range. They finally become black rifle friendly. Some of the people will try and say otherwise, but the corp office says it is ok.

Hope this helps,
drop me a line if you want, I can explain better,
carriaza@anet.com

Also, we are planing a small shoot at the bristol range for next Saturday, the 16th.
c-rock

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:57:38 AM EDT
Isn't there also a range somewhere in Sycamore?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:12:29 PM EDT
There is a range in Sycamore - The Sycamore Hunt Club, I've shot there on a Saturday when it's open to the public - ($10.) You can shoot anything up to but not including a .50 rifle.

They seem like a really good bunch of older guys but they're weary of "hot doggers." In other words you have to be on your best behavior. If you are LE they'll cut some very small slack, like on drawing from a holster. (I guess they figure the average shmoe can't do that adequatly.)

I don't have a contact number but I'd give them a call to make sure anything you want to do is kosher and to make sure about there open to the public times.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:32:35 PM EDT
Ditto on the Sycamore range. I haven't been, but I know people who have. From what I understand, non-members can shoot whenever the range is open, for $10.

There's a range in Aurora. I believe it's called the Aurora Sportsman Club. From what I've heard it's private, with new members through sponsorship, only. However it's open to the public on special days, such as CMP qualification. And they have a web site. Don't have the addy, but should be an easy search.

And then there's the ISRA range in Kankakee. You need to belong to the ISRA and then join the range in addition. Great facility, from what I hear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 2:37:23 PM EDT
Be aware that the Bristol range is one round at a time in centerfire rifle, and 5 rounds in a pistol mag. Not very exciting. While only a half hour from me, it's only worth shooting there once every couple of months.

Wadman: if you are in or near Sycamore, you are not that far from Ottawa. About a half hour or so.

It's a great outdoor range, but last year the schedule there was goofy. I'm not sure when they open this year.

Have not tried Bass Pro, but it looked like a pain in the ass, plus I will NOT hand my rifle to someone else for "safekeeping".

Av.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:14:35 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies. I hope to try Ottawa this summer (quite a ride from the Gurnee area). I really need to find a place that is open on weekdays as I usually only get 1 weekend off per month. Again, thanks for the replies!
Top Top