Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/7/2002 6:11:53 PM EDT
i want to get a couple cheap $100 C&R guns. my dealer told me if i bought 2 or more guns, he would have to fill out extra paper work and send it to the ATF. is this true?????
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:32:07 PM EDT
One per month I think is the rule. Stupid rule. If you buy different guns at different shops, no mark on the ATF list.

Even better, get your own curio FFL. www.cruffler.com, it is great fun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:34:01 PM EDT
Your state may have a regulation but the BATF has no regulations about that, as far as I know. I picked up two rifle recievers and a Shotgun from my FFL a couple of weeks ago (which counted as 3 guns) and there was no extra paper work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2002 6:36:29 PM EDT by Schnert]
I think that multiple handgun purchases are reported to the local sheriff's department and not the ATF.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:36:34 PM EDT
I think the ATF does require notification for more than 2 handgun purchases but not long guns.

I could be wrong.

Any dealers out there ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:05:05 PM EDT
I've bought a poop load of guns in a short period of time. Both rifles and handguns. No extra paper work. I also now have my CCW License so I dont even get a NIC's check. Just fill out that yellow thingy :)
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:16:38 PM EDT
i don't think there is any extra paper work on the purchasers part, but maybe the dealers end? any references???
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:16:48 PM EDT
My understanding is that you don't have to fill out additional paperwork your FFL does to notify ATF of multiple handgun purchases. I believe this started when people were buying dozens of cheap handguns and transporting them to places like NYC and selling them at a huge markup. Can you say straw purchase?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:50:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2002 8:55:08 PM EDT by DonSchultz]
There is no law against buying 100 handguns at a time. The ATF rule that FFL's must follow is that if a purchaser buys more than 1 (one) handgun within seven days, then the FFL must fill out a "multiple purchase" form and mail it to the local/regional ATF office. Obviously, if you buy two handguns at the same time, then the FFL will be obligated to send in the form. The extra paperwork is done on the dealer's end--the dealer may not even tell you he is filling it out!

A couple of notes:

1. This ONLY applies to handguns.

2. This can be easily gotten around by simply buying at multiple FFLs, if you do not want the ATF to have a direct heads-up of what you are buying. I would think they MUST be databasing such materials--because of the temptation to do so and because they can....

3. If you only want to deal with one FFL, and he has two or more handguns in stock that you want, then simply buy one right now and put the other "on layaway" with a deposit and buy that other one 8 days later on a different 4473 (yellow sheet).

4. If you do not care what the ATF thinks, then buy as many handguns as you want, all at once. There is no law against it.

(edited to correct spelling)
(edited AGAIN to correct grammar)
Top Top